Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

LAG with SM and MM members

This thread has been viewed 24 times
  • 1.  LAG with SM and MM members

Posted Nov 22, 2022 05:10 AM
    Hello,

LAG with one member over MM and one member over SM should be possible, right ? While the members have the same speed, of course.

Specifically, on 8325 we tried to set up a LAG with one 25G MM sfp28 member and one SM sfp28 member. On the other side is non-Aruba switch. The port with MM sfp went up, but the other port with SM did not ("waiting for link" status). We suspected that something was wrong with the optical patch cables, but later it was tried with the same SFP, optical cables and the same device on other side except that it was moved to a port that was not a member of the LAG but only with a basic L2 configuration, and port went up.

Does anyone have experience with such a setup?

BR,
    Mladen

• 2.  RE: LAG with SM and MM members

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 23, 2022 08:16 AM
    That is not a so common setup. If you don't get an answer, I would suggest to open an Aruba TAC Support case.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: LAG with SM and MM members

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 23, 2022 11:04 AM
    Are you using the very same SKU for your both the involved Aruba SFP28 Transceivers? I mean...the one used on your MMF fiber mode link (50/125 um) and the one used on your other SMF fiber mode link (9/125 um)?

I expect that - supposing that both MMF and SMF links have basically the same run length (unusual - considering SMF are used on long paths - but possible) and this common length is less than 100 meters long - on the MMF link you will use one Aruba 25G SFP28 LC SR 100m MMF XCVR (JL484A) transceiver or eventually one Aruba 25G SFP28 LC eSR 400m MMF XCVR (JL485A) transceiver - they both use the 850 nm central wavelength - and you will use instead the Aruba 25G SFP28 LC LR 10km SMF (JL486A) transceiver on the other SMF link (it uses the 1310 nm central wavelength). Isn't that?

A LAG (Non Protocol or LACP) generally requires that  its aggregable interfaces have the same Speed, (Full) Duplex mode and Flow Control...and I add (probably) they use the very same Media Type (either FO or Copper, not a mix)...your scenario seems to probably respect those restrictions/requirements but I'm not sure about SFP28 Transceivers really used on your Aruba 8325 side (and on the other).

• 4.  RE: LAG with SM and MM members

Posted Nov 24, 2022 03:28 AM
    One link is over JL484A an another over JL486A. Unfortunately I haven't opportunity to test such setup.

• 5.  RE: LAG with SM and MM members

Posted Nov 24, 2022 05:31 AM
    But, I can test with 1G sfps, on different platform:
    Hostname : Switch
    System Description : PL.10.10.1000
    Vendor : Aruba
    Product Name : R8N85A 6000 48G CL4 4SFP Swch

Switch# show interface transceiver
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Port Type Product Serial Part
    Number Number Number
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    1/1/49 1G-LX* -- -- --  <- singlemode link
    1/1/51 1G-SX* -- -- --  <- multimode link

Switch# show lag brief
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    LAG Aggregate Mode Enabled Status Speed
    name Mode (Mb/s)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    lag1 active access yes up 2000

Switch# show lacp interfaces

State abbreviations :
    A - Active P - Passive F - Aggregable I - Individual
    S - Short-timeout L - Long-timeout N - InSync O - OutofSync
    C - Collecting D - Distributing
    X - State m/c expired E - Default neighbor state

Actor details of all interfaces:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Intf Aggr Port Port State System-ID System Aggr Forwarding
    Name Id Pri Pri Key State
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1/1/49 lag1 50 1 ALFNCD 88:25:10:36:8d:80 65534 1 up
    1/1/51 lag1 52 1 ALFNCD 88:25:10:36:8d:80 65534 1 up

Partner details of all interfaces:
    Intf Aggr Port Port State System-ID System Aggr
    Name Id Pri Pri Key
    1/1/49 lag1 279 32768 ALFNCD 00:19:aa:f9:46:80 32768 1
    1/1/51 lag1 281 32768 ALFNCD 00:19:aa:f9:46:80 32768 1

• 6.  RE: LAG with SM and MM members

Posted Nov 24, 2022 09:54 AM

Hi ....

You said the remote side is a non-Aruba device ?
    What is it?
    What SM SFP28 type, exactly, is installed there?

Regarding the original question:

"LAG with one member over MM and one member over SM should be possible, right ? While the members have the same speed, of course."

Yupp, should work.

• 7.  RE: LAG with SM and MM members

Posted Nov 25, 2022 09:16 AM
    Hello,
    I'm not shure, in fact, it doesn't even matter because without LAG configuration the links work.
    Regarding the test done with 1G sfp between Aruba and Cisco such setup should work.