Cloud Managed Networks

View Only
last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

OS-CX Setting the Boot Partition in Central

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  OS-CX Setting the Boot Partition in Central

Posted Jan 30, 2023 02:22 PM
    I have a couple of 6200CX switches that are managed in Central and I was looking to do a firmware upgrade on them.  I normally would load the firmware into the secondary flash, set the boot parameter to boot from the secondary, reboot them and ensure that everything still works, then load the new firmware into primary and complete the upgrade.  

The issue is that I don't see/can't find the option to set the boot flash on the switches in Central.  I know that I can pick which flash image to upgrade, but it does not give me the option to choose the active boot image.  

Since these are managed in Central, I can't make changes to them in the CLI as I normally would.  Am I completely missing an option here or is there some way to set the active boot partition for a switch in Central (perhaps using multi-edit or something like that?)

Thanks,

BIll

• 2.  RE: OS-CX Setting the Boot Partition in Central

Posted Jan 31, 2023 07:14 PM
    Hi, I think Central uses the other partition to make the upgrade. I mean, the partition that is not the active.

I hope this helps

• 3.  RE: OS-CX Setting the Boot Partition in Central

Posted Feb 01, 2023 07:33 AM
    We have upgraded 100 switches a few weeks ago and ran into some problems. I'd recommend you test it first with a switch before you roll it out on a larger scale.

What we found was that when we say "upgrade the secondarty but do not reboot automatically" as firmware compliance Central did not change the boot partition. 
    Then when we clicked the reboot to finish the upgrade, it rebooted the old software, then copied the new image into the primary image and then rebooted again. The result was both images were the new image and we got two reboots.

When you set the primary partition, Central did not copy the active image to the secondary first.

Don't know if that was fixed in the meantime. I would test it with a test group first.

------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Bjarne
    ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: OS-CX Setting the Boot Partition in Central

Posted Feb 01, 2023 02:01 PM
    Hi

When you attempt to upgrade from Aruba Central, UI requests which partition use, and as a Ulises told you this partition is the new boot-location.
    Note. Set compliance apply the upgrade to all members of the group, try to test as a Bjarne said.

I remember when I tried to upgrade the other partition with the same firmware, some error appear that the firmware already exists in the switch. I not sure if it has been resolved on Aruba Central.

I hope this helps