Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

set priority per WLC to make WLC1 as primary in the cluster and WLC2 as secondary

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  set priority per WLC to make WLC1 as primary in the cluster and WLC2 as secondary

MVP
    Posted Sep 25, 2022 12:58 AM
    As I see, WLCs clustering is the preferable Aruba design at this moment.
    How can I set priority per WLC to make WLC1 as primary in the cluster and WLC2 as secondary ? (I need to swap primary and secondary in my design)

#show lc-cluster group-membership

Cluster Enabled, Profile Name = "p-cluster"
    Redundancy Mode On
    Active Client Rebalance Threshold = 50%
    Standby Client Rebalance Threshold = 75%
    Unbalance Threshold = 5%
    Heartbeat Threshold = 2000 msec
    AP Load Balancing: Enabled
    Active AP Rebalance Threshold = 20%
    Active AP Unbalance Threshold = 5%
    Active AP Rebalance AP Count = 50
    Active AP Rebalance Timer = 1 minutes
    Cluster Info Table
    ------------------
    Type IPv4 Address Priority Connection-Type STATUS
    ---- --------------- -------- --------------- ------
    self 10.15.244.70 128 N/A CONNECTED (Member)
    peer 10.15.244.71 128 L2-Connected CONNECTED (Leader)

• 2.  RE: set priority per WLC to make WLC1 as primary in the cluster and WLC2 as secondary

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 25, 2022 04:31 PM
    What is the point of switching the primary for devices?  That would determine how to answer your question.

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: set priority per WLC to make WLC1 as primary in the cluster and WLC2 as secondary

MVP
    Posted Sep 25, 2022 09:18 PM
    maybe I not fully understand yet cluster functions,
    my point is that when I login to a WLC2 I see all access points connected to it and no access points connected to WLC1, I would like to have all access points on WLC1

• 4.  RE: set priority per WLC to make WLC1 as primary in the cluster and WLC2 as secondary

Posted Sep 25, 2022 10:15 PM
    Then change the priority for wlc1 as higher than wlc2 then all access points will terminate in wlc1

Best Regards,

Rashed Basuleman

• 5.  RE: set priority per WLC to make WLC1 as primary in the cluster and WLC2 as secondary

MVP
    Posted Sep 25, 2022 10:19 PM
    yes, so my query was how can I set priority on WLCs for that.

• 6.  RE: set priority per WLC to make WLC1 as primary in the cluster and WLC2 as secondary

Posted Sep 25, 2022 10:32 PM

(host)(config) #vrrp 22

vlan 22

ip address 10.200.22.254

priority 110

preempt

authentication password

description Preferred-Master

tracking master-up-time 30 add 20

no shutdown

The following configuration is the corresponding VRRP configuration for the peer controller.

(host)(config) #vrrp 22

vlan 22

ip address 10.200.22.254

priority 100

preempt

authentication password

description Backup-Master

tracking master-up-time 30 add 20

no shutdown

Best Regards,

Rashed Basuleman

• 7.  RE: set priority per WLC to make WLC1 as primary in the cluster and WLC2 as secondary

MVP
    Posted Sep 25, 2022 10:40 PM
    these provided commands relate only to VRRP,
    but even before configuration of VRRP , when I built an L2 cluster from WLCs , they already shown me:

self 10.15.244.70 128 N/A CONNECTED (Member)
    peer 10.15.244.71 128 L2-Connected CONNECTED (Leader)

It is only via VRRP priority possible to assign such WLCs priority ?!

• 8.  RE: set priority per WLC to make WLC1 as primary in the cluster and WLC2 as secondary

Posted Sep 25, 2022 10:46 PM
    https://youtu.be/pUdiNAn158Y

Best Regards,

Rashed Basuleman

• 9.  RE: set priority per WLC to make WLC1 as primary in the cluster and WLC2 as secondary

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 26, 2022 12:37 AM
    That is incorrect.  That video is for master redundancy.  Once you create a cluster with an MM in the picture, the VRRP is not used to influence what controller has "priority".  The parameters in the cluster profile do that.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card