Higher Education

View Only
last person joined: 10 days ago 

Got questions on how to enable mobility in education? Submit them here!
Expand all | Collapse all

Shutdown vs. drop-subscriber + shutdown

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Shutdown vs. drop-subscriber + shutdown

Posted Jul 31, 2017 01:53 PM

Single Publisher cluster consists of: (1) CPPM 5k and (7) CPPM 25k. Version 6.6.2.86786

Hi,

I'm wondering if it's best to drop the subsciber first before shut down, or if simply issuing a shutdown from the WebUI is sufficient.

We're migrating our clearpass servers to a new location. As a test I moved our 5k as it had no active services. I did a Shutdown from the WebUI but did not drop subsciber first. After the move the 5k came back up but all servers were out of sync for a few hours. Not 100% sure if this is related to shutting down that subsciber or not. Eventually everything got back into sync.

My question is: Is it best to drop the subsciber before shutting down the sever? Or is simply clicking the Shutdown button for a sunsciber sufficient?

Thanks!

Mike

• 2.  RE: Shutdown vs. drop-subscriber + shutdown

MVP
    Posted Jul 31, 2017 01:59 PM

Are any server (Publisher or subscriber) ip addresses changing?

You realize 6.6.2 is quite old. I personally recommend 6.6.5 since 6.6.7 is relatively new and has had a few issues.

I recently changed the ip address of my Publisher. I dropped the sunscribers but did not reset the databases. They kept working as independent publishers while I changed the address of the Publisher. I then added the subscribers back to the publisher. The snmp strings then needed to be set on the subscribers.

I have a 25K publisher & 3 25K subscribers behind an F5 load balance switch. 

• 3.  RE: Shutdown vs. drop-subscriber + shutdown

Posted Jul 31, 2017 02:16 PM

Understood on the version upgrade. It's planned for this summer but the physical migrations are closer in the rear view mirror.

IP addresses are not changing. Essentially, each server is powering down then back up connected to a different upstream router. L2 and L3 will remain the same.

• 4.  RE: Shutdown vs. drop-subscriber + shutdown

MVP
    Posted Jul 31, 2017 02:20 PM

You should be able to just shut them down & move. Remember that when moving the Publisher, all publisher-specific services will be unavailable.

Insight Master, OnBoard, Guest registration and API access are all hosted by the Publisher. 

• 5.  RE: Shutdown vs. drop-subscriber + shutdown

Posted Jul 31, 2017 03:17 PM

Excellent thanks!

Mike