last person joined: yesterday 

Expand all | Collapse all

Spanning Tree Compatibility with Comware 7 and Cisco

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  Spanning Tree Compatibility with Comware 7 and Cisco

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 18, 2022 12:11 PM
    Hi,

I need to connect a Comware 7 switch to a Cisco switch that is the core of the customer network.

All customer network is running "Rapid Per Vlan Spanning Tree"

I see that on the Comware I can change the spanning tree mode but I am a bit confused.

There is an option for "Per Vlan Spanning Tree" and another called just "Rapid Spanning Tree" (does not say Per Vlan).

Is the last option the same as Cisco "Rapid Per Vlan Spanning Tree"?

Regards

• 2.  RE: Spanning Tree Compatibility with Comware 7 and Cisco

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 19, 2022 02:39 AM
    Hello cdias,

Please use the following link to see an example how to configure per vlan spanning tree:

https://techhub.hpe.com/eginfolib/networking/docs/switches/5920-5900/5200-4542_l2-lan_cg/content/498099904.htm

The spanning tree modes include:

• STP mode-All ports of the device send STP BPDUs. Select this mode when the peer device of a port supports only STP.

• RSTP mode-All ports of the device send RSTP BPDUs. A port in this mode automatically transits to the STP mode when it receives STP BPDUs from the peer device. A port in this mode does not transit to the MSTP mode when it receives MSTP BPDUs from the peer device.

• PVST mode-All ports of the device send PVST BPDUs. Each VLAN maintains a spanning tree. In a network, the amount of spanning trees maintained by all devices equals the number of PVST-enabled VLANs multiplied by the number of PVST-enabled ports. If the amount of spanning trees exceeds the capacity of the network, device CPUs will be overloaded. Packet forwarding is interrupted, and the network becomes unstable. The number of spanning trees that a device can maintain is 128.

• MSTP mode-All ports of the device send MSTP BPDUs. A port in this mode automatically transits to the STP mode when receiving STP BPDUs from the peer device. A port in this mode does not transit to the RSTP mode when receiving RSTP BPDUs from the peer device.

Restrictions and guidelines

The MSTP mode is compatible with the RSTP mode, and the RSTP mode is compatible with the STP mode.

Compatibility of the PVST mode depends on the link type of a port.

• On an access port, the PVST mode is compatible with other spanning tree modes in all VLANs.

• On a trunk port or hybrid port, the PVST mode is compatible with other spanning tree modes only in the default VLAN.

Procedure

1. Enter system view.

system-view

2. Set the spanning tree mode.

stp mode { mstp | pvst | rstp | stp }

The default setting is the MSTP mode.

Hope this helps!

------------------------------
    -Alex-

• 3.  RE: Spanning Tree Compatibility with Comware 7 and Cisco

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 19, 2022 02:49 AM
    Hi,

I know how to configure spanning-tree.

My question is that the Cisco switch is running rpvst (rapid per vlan spanning tree). On the Comware wich mode should I use to be compatible ?

Regards

• 4.  RE: Spanning Tree Compatibility with Comware 7 and Cisco

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 19, 2022 03:00 AM
    Hello cdias,

If the Cisco switch is using RPVST then the compatible mode for the Comware is PVST mode.

Hope this helps!

-Alex-

• 5.  RE: Spanning Tree Compatibility with Comware 7 and Cisco

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 19, 2022 03:07 AM
    Hi,

I imagined could be that obe.

I was just confused because Cisco has two modes rpvst and pvst. Customer is using rpvst

But on comware there is pvst, and a stange ... rstp which seem to not be rpvst