Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

SSID on 2.4GHz channel only.

This thread has been viewed 34 times
  • 1.  SSID on 2.4GHz channel only.

Posted Nov 15, 2022 03:46 PM
    I am in a mobility environment running 8.7.1.10 and I am trying to broadcast a specific SSID on the 2.4GHz channels only.

I have selected "g" in the "allowed band" under the RF tab in the Virtual AP profile but the SSID continues to be broadcast on both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

Is there another setting that I am missing?

• 2.  RE: SSID on 2.4GHz channel only.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 15, 2022 04:31 PM
    Did you check on the commandline to make sure that setting was applied on the mobility controller on the commandline?

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: SSID on 2.4GHz channel only.

Posted Nov 15, 2022 06:29 PM
    cjoseph,  thanks for taking a look at this with me.  When I use the "show wlan virtual-ap *SSID*" command it shows that the allowed band is g.  Is there another command that would give me another view of the RF configuration for the SSID?

• 4.  RE: SSID on 2.4GHz channel only.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 15, 2022 08:12 PM
    "show AP bss-table"

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 5.  RE: SSID on 2.4GHz channel only.

Posted Nov 15, 2022 04:37 PM

Ken,

You have to save your changes (write mem) in each folder you have made changes before they will be active.

Thanks,

Brad

• 6.  RE: SSID on 2.4GHz channel only.

Posted Nov 15, 2022 06:33 PM
    I saved the changes and verified that it was committed to all controllers in the folder that contains my clusters.  Should I have to save the changes in the CLI to make them take effect?

• 7.  RE: SSID on 2.4GHz channel only.

Posted Nov 16, 2022 09:24 AM
    I am sure you have done this, but i did that too with one of our SSIDs and i had to reboot my APs in order to see the change on our environment.

• 8.  RE: SSID on 2.4GHz channel only.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2022 09:37 AM
    You should be able to either save it in the GUI or in the commandline.  You shouldn't have to do both.  You also should not have to reboot the AP.  It should just be pushed from the controller. 

Check to see what profiles are pushed to a specific ap on the local controller.

show ap profile-usage ap-name <name of ap>

• 9.  RE: SSID on 2.4GHz channel only.

Posted Nov 16, 2022 10:12 AM
    The SSID I am trying to configure is a wlan that is assigned to an ap-group containing only 2 aps.  When I run the command you suggested on one of the aps, I see quite a few profiles on the ap.  All the SSID prfiles and RF profiles and AAA profiles for the wlans.....

Is there a specific profile that I should  or shouldn't see that I can focus on for this troubleshooting issue?

Thanks again for your help with this.

• 10.  RE: SSID on 2.4GHz channel only.

Posted Nov 16, 2022 10:36 AM
    I am able to confirm that the SSID is now broadcasting only in the 2.4GHz band.  It was broadcasting on both bands yesterday after I committed the changes.  We had a network disruption last night that caused the 2 aps in the ap-group to reboot.  I'm not sure if that is what forced the RF change but there doesn't seem to be anything else that happened.

• 11.  RE: SSID on 2.4GHz channel only.

Posted Nov 16, 2022 10:51 AM
    "you should not have to reboot" those were the same words an engineer at Aruba told me, but again it was until the APs were rebooted that actually made the changes work.
    Glad is working for you now :)

• 12.  RE: SSID on 2.4GHz channel only.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2022 11:00 AM
    This the way it is supposed to work from day 1.  If it does not, then it is a bug and it needs to be investigated.

• 13.  RE: SSID on 2.4GHz channel only.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2022 10:59 AM
    This is an online forum where we are just guessing based on the information you give us, so the things we propose are based on just...guesses.  I'm glad things worked out.