Cloud Managed Networks

View Only
last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

Wireless Bridge with IAP387 and Central

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  Wireless Bridge with IAP387 and Central

Posted Jan 12, 2023 09:44 PM
    Greetings,

I have a problem and hope anybody can help. We need to connect a building across the street with a WLAN Bridge. we have two AP387 which are for these type of work. But now my supervisor whants those two configure by central. I find some how-to for those APs as single mode but none for central. Is it not possible to configure the two in bridgmode over central or can i ignore that and configure it like they are standalone?

Thx 

Chris

• 2.  RE: Wireless Bridge with IAP387 and Central
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 12, 2023 11:55 PM
    yes they should work same as Instant APs with Aruba Central.

------------------------------
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Wireless Bridge with IAP387 and Central

Posted Jan 13, 2023 02:58 AM
    Great, thx a lot

• 4.  RE: Wireless Bridge with IAP387 and Central

Posted Jan 17, 2023 05:42 AM
    Me again,

so i found some configuration Guids to set up the wireless mesh bridge. I've tried to configure them as like they would be standalone. When I tested the connection the Meshpoint jumped from his group to the group of client Access Points. When i try to move the mesh point the other vc and all of the client acces APs change the group with it.

The Bridge seems to work because i can ping and open the Website of the AP but devices behind the mesh point have no connectivity. The Network port ist trusted and all Vlan are acepted. The Mesh Portal Uplink is as Uplink and the Mesh Point is as downlink configured. For the Meshpoint in all guids it says that the meshpoint Network port have to be in bridge mode but this option is now where to be found in central.

Both APs are configured as standalone.

So here are my Questions

How do I move the standalone AP without moving the other APs with it?
    How do i activate the Option for the Network Port to be in bridge mode?

Or is i realy possible to configure this in central.  I've ask around some specalist for aruba and every body said they did not confige some thing like this but it should work.

• 5.  RE: Wireless Bridge with IAP387 and Central

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 17, 2023 05:10 PM
    see if this tutorial can help
    https://community.arubanetworks.com/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=13&MessageKey=3f3e4689-4dee-497f-aed5-6e6d5cf995da

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 6.  RE: Wireless Bridge with IAP387 and Central

Posted Jan 18, 2023 03:33 AM
    thx for the link but this is an Instant Configuration, i want a configuration for Central.

• 7.  RE: Wireless Bridge with IAP387 and Central

Posted Jan 18, 2023 09:00 AM

Hi,

you could newly onboard those Mesh-standalone devices and put them in separate groups and "take over existing config" into those groups.

If those are already managed by Central, you can run the "show ap-env" command (via the "tools" menu) and verify then ENV-settings.

The "bridge mode" will be visible as: enet0_bridging:1

the standalone-mode is also visible with the env-settings - same as the mesh-cluster-name and ~-key

In Central you do find the "bridging setting" in the per AP-configuration -> Uplink tab, it's the eth0 mode.

Easiest way would be to onboard standalone AP's into a separate group and "take over the existing config". 

Note: I do prefer utilizing static IP for dedicated MESH-AP (esp. if those are 387) and I do recommend those addresses to be in a separated (dedicated for just mesh-ap management) vlan - to avoid any conflict with other Instant AP.

Though of course - it's still a good idea to keep that dedicated mesh-management vlan as the "untagged" vlan on the uplink ports of the MESH-AP's (as it is known to be best-practice for any Aruba IAP)

Hope this helps.