Precautions to be taken before upgrading ClearPass server running on 5.2 version to 6.x version
Question : What are the precautionary steps that should be taken before upgrading ClearPass server from 5.2 to 6.x version?
Environment : This is applicable for ClearPass Appliances only running on 5.2.0 version.
Please ensure that the following precautionary steps are taken before upgrading the server from 5.2.0 version to 6.x version to ensure a smooth upgrade:
- SSH into the server using appadmin credentials and copy the output of #show license
- Contact TAC and get the licenses migrated to 6.x version, by providing a copy of the output from the command: #show license
- ClearPass server needs to be dropped from the domain.
- The password for the private key used to install the server certificate should not have any special characters in it.
- Take a complete backup of the server by navigating to Administration --> Server Manager --> Server Configuration --> Select the server --> Back Up (Enable the option: Backup databases for all installed applications).
- Upload the 6.x upgrade image file into the server by navigating to Administration --> Server Manager --> Server Configuration --> Click on the name of the server --> Import Updates. (The uploaded file will not be visible from the GUI).
Once the upgrade image is uploaded, we will have to SSH into the server using appadmin credentials and run the following command to start the upgrade process:
system upgrade <6.x upgrade image's file name> -l
Example: If we are upgrading the server from 5.2.0 version to 6.2.0 version, then the command would be: