Access Points

New Contributor

Serial Over Ethernet Breakout Cable

Can someone provide the specs to make a serial over Ethernet breakout cable?
Regular Contributor I

Re: Serial Over Ethernet Breakout Cable

hi there,

finally im able to post, there's some sheet to self-build some COM-port adapter with Ethernet Jack, it's handout'ed in those aruba seminars...

i can send you over this sheet if you want, but it's only a sort of SoE and has nothing to do with the PoE but works quite fine if you connect your USB-COM port Adapter with this special self-made adapter directly to the external powered AP , then you can use the ap commands directly .

regards
bn
Guru Elite

SOE Cable

SOE cable pinouts are the in appendix section of indoor AP installation guides (attached).

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.3 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Employee

In addition, Microsoft commissioned Carlyle (a local Seattle cabling maker) to make an Aruba SPOE cable replacement (SPOE-3) but with very long cable ends. This makes using SPOE in the wiring closet a lot easier since you don't need to awkwardly hold the laptop up to the rack, etc. :) The cables with this are 6 feet (2 meters) long.

The part number (I think it's still valid) is:
MS-DB9F-2XRJ-006

Carlyle can be contacted here:
http://www.carlyle-inc.com
Regular Contributor I

anyone knows where to get this in germany, local spare parts store, i was able to successfully make my own cable but without the network pins, so serial connection to some AP65 works fine, but the com-port adapter is just a little bit "crappy" cause the pins of the female adapter got a little bit damaged while pull/push them in the proper row .. ;-)

i would like to buy just some SPOE cable with the mentioned connectors and im fine.

regards
Aruba Employee
Aruba Employee

You should be able to order this through your Aruba account team or partner, the part number is CA-SPOE-ADAPT-3 for Aruba PoE, and CA-SPOE-ADAPT-4 for mid-span PoE.

-awl
Andy Logan, ACDX
Director, Strategic Account Solutions
Aruba Networks

Breakout Cable using a Cisco Serial Cable

Just re-crimp the Ethernet plug pins to
green 4
yellow 5
red 7
orange 8

(Credit to Colm Connor)
New Contributor

That did it!!

Thanks for the hint about using the Cisco cable. That worked perfectly! I can now reset my APs.:)
New Contributor

I want to do the same, I recrimped the cable, connected it to the ap and my laptop and nothing!
Do I need the power transformator for the ap (5V, 2A) so that this works?

Guru Elite

Yes, you need to provide power for the AP. The cable does not do that...

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.3 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: