Aruba Apps

last person joined: 2 days ago 

The HPE Aruba Networking Apps board is designed to address questions, comments, and feature requests for all HPE Aruba Networking mobile Apps
Expand all | Collapse all

Require Aruba performance management counters and KPIs

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Require Aruba performance management counters and KPIs

Posted Dec 03, 2015 05:16 AM

Hi,

I need the full list of Aruba performance management counters and KPIs (key performance indicators).

Please if anyone can help on this.

BR

Deepak

• 2.  RE: Require Aruba performance management counters and KPIs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 09, 2015 01:28 AM

this is a pretty open ended request - can you be a little more specific ? There are 1000s of counters, stats and SNMP oids that can be queried, scraped and checked - the more important question is what kind of things are you trying to monitor and for what purposes?

regards

-jeff

• 3.  RE: Require Aruba performance management counters and KPIs

Posted Dec 14, 2015 02:07 AM

Hi,

I am looking for counters details related to below KPIs :-

• No of users attempt (authentication) – counter needed which can show its session success; doesnt need to based on AAA_auth
    • Authentication success rate –  counter needed which can show its session success; doesnt need to based on AAA_auth
    • Session drop rate due to interference or coverage issues - counters to identify AP with high interference

BR

Deepak

• 4.  RE: Require Aruba performance management counters and KPIs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 14, 2015 02:40 AM

Hi Deepak

I presume you mean how to collect via SNMP or did you mean from CLI ?

You can collect/monitor info about any auth source (be it radius, internal or tacacs etc.) from the SNMP MIB specifically wlsxAuthenticationServerTable OID. I am not sure what you mean that it doesnt need to be based on aaa auth, as this is the only place it would show auth rate/success - can you clarify what you mean ? 

The equivalent CLI command has to be run against each server type, i.e. for radius you would use "show aaa authentication-server radius statistics"

'session drop rate due to interference' is not something that can really be measured. For detecting APs with high interference, you can monitor this from SNMP using wlsxWlanAPChStatsTable. Where you need to derive interference by the following:

interference = wlanAPChUtilization - wlanAPChTxUtilization - wlanAPChRxUtilization

for example, for some AP (here 18:64:72:c6:6b:ea) which has 2 radios active, where [1] is 5ghz, then for each band we can determine the interference is as follows:

$ snmpwalk -v2c -c public -mALL -M. -O0X 10.1.2.3 wlsxWlanAPChStatsTable | grep 18:64:72:c6:6b:ea | grep Util
    WLSX-WLAN-MIB::wlanAPChRxUtilization[STRING: 18:64:72:c6:6b:ea][1] = INTEGER: 2
    WLSX-WLAN-MIB::wlanAPChRxUtilization[STRING: 18:64:72:c6:6b:ea][2] = INTEGER: 34
    WLSX-WLAN-MIB::wlanAPChTxUtilization[STRING: 18:64:72:c6:6b:ea][1] = INTEGER: 0
    WLSX-WLAN-MIB::wlanAPChTxUtilization[STRING: 18:64:72:c6:6b:ea][2] = INTEGER: 0
    WLSX-WLAN-MIB::wlanAPChUtilization[STRING: 18:64:72:c6:6b:ea][1] = INTEGER: 5
    WLSX-WLAN-MIB::wlanAPChUtilization[STRING: 18:64:72:c6:6b:ea][2] = INTEGER: 53

radio [1] = 5 -  2 - 0 = 3% interference on 5ghz

radio [2] = 53 - 34 - 0 = 19% on 2.4ghz

or you can use the CLI command "show ap radio-summary" and refer to the column named "NF/U/I" where the "I" value is the same as shown above, within a few % since I ran these two commands at slightly different times.

(WLC) #show ap database long | include 6b:ea
    iap225            office  225      10.1.5.123   Up 61d:6h:12m:42s  2s     1.2.3.4  0.0.0.0     18:64:72:c6:6b:ea  BX0110574  N/A   N/A   N/A       

(WLC) #show ap radio-summary | include iap225,EIRP
    Name              Group   AP Type  IP Address    Band  Mode         EIRP/MaxEIRP  NF/U/I     TD           TM                 TC
    iap225            office  225      10.1.5.123  2.4   AP:HT:11     9/21.5        -91/54/22  0/0/0/0/0/0  36/36/35/34/33/35  1/1/2/2/2/1
    iap225            office  225      10.1.5.123  5     AP:VHT:100E  15/22.5       -89/3/2    0/0/0/0/0/0  0/0/0/0/0/0        0/0/0/0/0/0

(WLC) #

regards

-jeff

• 5.  RE: Require Aruba performance management counters and KPIs

Posted Dec 14, 2015 04:18 AM

Hi Jeff,

Many thanks for the info.

Actually I have to answer a clause of a RFP for which these details needed. Basically I have to provide performance management counters and KPIs (key performance indicators) for the below to comply with it :-

• No of users attempt (authentication)
    • Authentication success rate
    • Session drop rate due to interference or coverage issues

Do you have more details on these performance management counters?

Please share SNMP MIBs  which can provide the info on No of users attempt (authentication)  & Authentication success rate.

BR

Deepak

• 6.  RE: Require Aruba performance management counters and KPIs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 14, 2015 05:20 AM

hi Deepak

for the Authentication, the table to be queried is wlsxAuthenticationServerTable and it's in the aruba-auth.my MIB file, more specifically you would use something like these OIDs:

authServerUsageCount - number of queries to an auth server

authServerSuccessfullAuths -- number of sucessful auths

authServerFailedAuths -- number of fails/auth rejects

authServerTimeouts -- number of timeouts/no response

for the OIDs i used to derive interference, they are in the aruba-wlan.my MIB file.

There is no counter or effective way to measure the rate of failed association due to interference or coverage; I am not even sure how that could be measured by the serving wlan network (i.e. would require some sort of 3rd party probe to watch the client trying to associate and note the lack of response)

For your reference, I have attached the two MIB files discussed above (from version 6.4.2.8).

regards

-jeff

Attachment(s)

txt
    aruba-auth.txt   10 KB 1 version
    txt
    aruba-wlan.txt   174 KB 1 version

• 7.  RE: Require Aruba performance management counters and KPIs

Posted Jan 23, 2016 10:30 AM

Thanks a lot Jeff for the valuable info.

@jgoff wrote:

hi Deepak

for the Authentication, the table to be queried is wlsxAuthenticationServerTable and it's in the aruba-auth.my MIB file, more specifically you would use something like these OIDs:

for the OIDs i used to derive interference, they are in the aruba-wlan.my MIB file.

There is no counter or effective way to measure the rate of failed association due to interference or coverage; I am not even sure how that could be measured by the serving wlan network (i.e. would require some sort of 3rd party probe to watch the client trying to associate and note the lack of response)

For your reference, I have attached the two MIB files discussed above (from version 6.4.2.8).

regards

-jeff

@jgoff wrote:

hi Deepak

regards

-jeff

• 8.  RE: Require Aruba performance management counters and KPIs

Posted Mar 28, 2016 08:12 AM

Hi Deepak,

All the Aruba MIBs are availabile with the software.

Here's an example of where to find them:

Aruba_MIBs.JPG

Regards,

Alex