Aruba Apps

last person joined: 2 days ago 

The HPE Aruba Networking Apps board is designed to address questions, comments, and feature requests for all HPE Aruba Networking mobile Apps
Expand all | Collapse all

Why doesn't the syslog service on ClearPass support round robin DNS?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Why doesn't the syslog service on ClearPass support round robin DNS?

Posted Aug 17, 2015 03:52 PM

The syslog forwarding service in ClearPass does not support round robin DNS for the syslog server.  We have two syslog servers for HA, but the ClearPass servers will pick one of the two from the round robin DNS and stick to it, evne when one of hte two server is off line.  It seems the solution is to put a load balancer in front of the syslog servers, but that is an expensive solution for log transport when most syslog agents are aware of and use round robin DNS.

On a related side note, it is not acceptable to have to reboot the entir ClearPass applicance for it to reconize syslog target changes.

• 2.  RE: Why doesn't the syslog service on ClearPass support round robin DNS?

Posted Sep 12, 2015 11:47 AM

i think you have a better chance on getting an answer here:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/AAA-NAC-Guest-Access-BYOD/bd-p/aaa-nac-guest-access-byod

my personal opinion is that round robin DNS isn't an officially defined method. sure it might work in some cases, but i don't believe the DNS specification says you have to do it like that.

• 3.  RE: Why doesn't the syslog service on ClearPass support round robin DNS?

Posted Sep 14, 2015 10:02 AM

The forum location is probably an issue, I will try to repost.