Highlighted
Aruba Employee

Re: AP Load Balancing 11a and 11g on 65AP

You'll want to submit the feature request to your account manager and he/she will take it from there.
Guru Elite

The limit

OK, first of all I don’t tend to have any problems with using the three non overlapping 802.11g channels because our school is in quite a remote location so there is not too much interference from external sources, other than the rest of the onsite Aruba access points.

I have carried out a test yesterday and one today with one of my 20 laptop trolleys. This was with the AP65 in a location on site that can’t hear any signals from other locations. (It shows as a diamond on the heat map) Any way the first test I timed 3 lessons at logon times to get a average logon. Then last night manually set 10 to 11g and 10 to 11a then carried out the same test today and the logon speed was around 5 minutes faster which is a lot of time to save at the start of a 50 minute lesson.:)

I really don’t think switching to only be 802.11a and spending extra on denser access point coverage is the right way to go about it in my environment when I have proved it can be done by manually configuring the laptops.

That brings me back to how do I approach the big thinkers at Aruba with “Round-robin band-steering” for the AP65 as a future OS feature request?
I’m shore there are others in a similar situation to me who would like to load balance users between 11.g and 11.a on the AP65 to utilize its full capabilities.

For now it looks like ill have to take Mike’s suggestion and use band-steering, just leave 300 of them alone and they'll go to 11a on their own and set the other 300 to 11g. What a nightmare!!!:eek:

Please help Aruba It must be possible to implement this at controller level for future users wishing to accomplish the same thing as myself.:)

I really suggest you read Aruba's guide for Optimizing roaming devices here: http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/DG_Roaming.pdf It is rather lengthy, but it is full of best practices, some which may or may not apply to you, but definitely plenty that you can use. Use that to make sure that your network is optimized, and measure your performance. It also has a great troubleshooting section. Utilizing the best practices in the guide may be able to keep you from the situation you described.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor II

I've bookmarked that as well, good guide!
Highlighted
Aruba Employee

Feature request

I submitted a feature request to add load balancing to band-steering. Send me an email you and I will keep you up to date on it.

Gary
gjenkins@arubanetworks.com
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

I submitted a feature request to add load balancing to band-steering. Send me an email you and I will keep you up to date on it.

Gary

Thanks Gary,

I’m shore there are others in a similar situation to me would like to load balance users between 11.g and 11.a on the AP65 to utilize its full capabilities.

Ill bang you an email now so you have my contact details.
Highlighted
Aruba Employee

Thanks Gary,

I’m shore there are others in a similar situation to me would like to load balance users between 11.g and 11.a on the AP65 to utilize its full capabilities.

Ill bang you an email now so you have my contact details.

That's a very common request. Wherever I present something about Aruba technology and features, there is a question regarding load-balancing 11g and 11a users between AP65 radios.

I think "round robin bandsteering" or "band load balancing" will be a part of AOS soon.

Oguzhan Eren
Highlighted
Aruba Employee

Weighted round-robin sounds ideal to me. This way the admin could select a 1-for-1 split b/w a and g, or perhaps 2-to-1, or whatever they want.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: