ArubaOS and Controllers

Guru Elite

Re: Ipad and Captive Portal Problem

exception on the guest logon role. The iPad2 now shows the wireless icon pre-CP authentication. It no longer launches the "crippled" Safari browser to display the CP. Now when you launch Safari the Aruba CP is displayed inline, with no windows opening and closing.

One caveat I have discovered is that this now breaks the functionality of an app that requires network connectivity automatically launching the CP and then closing it after authentication. i.e. If I launch Flipboard with this workaround in place, it presents a connection error (when I am still in the guest logon role). Before, when the CP randomly works and randomly doesn't, the "crippled" browser displaying the CP would pop-up.

I assume this is because with the workound the iPad2 can now reach http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html and doesn't think you need to popup a CP. Essentially - it's one problem solved and a new one created :)

Okay, if that works make sure you add ocsp.usertrust.com to the www.apple.com alias to deal with the problem here http://airheads.arubanetworks.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=3468 at the same time.

config t
netdestination www.apple.com
name ocsp.usertrust.com

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
Aruba VIA ASE Solution - Configure VIA VPN
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Yes - all apps work 100% if I launch Safari and authenticate/accept the terms of the CP.
Highlighted
Super Contributor II

Hi All,

I am experiencing this issue with a number of my clients however I believe we are unable to use this workaround as my client runs a web proxy on their network which requires a login and as such can't put in place an exception to the apple.com website.

Are there any other options in terms of how to resolve this?

Scott
Highlighted
Guru Elite

Hi All,

I am experiencing this issue with a number of my clients however I believe we are unable to use this workaround as my client runs a web proxy on their network which requires a login and as such can't put in place an exception to the apple.com website.

Are there any other options in terms of how to resolve this?

Scott

Is the proxy configured on their clients, or is it a transparent proxy?

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
Aruba VIA ASE Solution - Configure VIA VPN
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

Scott, If you happen to be also an Aruba Amigopod customer as of version 3.5.1 they have implemented a feature for bypassing the Apple Captive Network Assistant. This essentially will emulate the response from the apple servers on the inside of your network and hence avoid the traffic going through your proxy server.
Requirements are that your captive portal profile is configured to redirect guest logins to the Amigopod hosted web login page. Your local SE can help you with the implementation of this feature on Amigopod.
BTW - Aruba Instant supports the whitelisting of the entire http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html URL so you are only permitting access to this one page and not the broader Apple website to pre-authenticated users.