ArubaOS and Controllers

Reply
Highlighted
Guru Elite

Re: Mobile clients *sometimes* not connecting properly


A bit more info:

When I'm connected and everything is working ok, if I roam with my mobile to another AP, the mobile stays connected, but I can't get any data through. I open a browser but can't get to any webpages.

Now, I've found that if I set a static IP address on the mobile, both this problem and the problem in the OP go away. I can always connect and roam with no problem. Leads me to think native there's something wrong with the way DHCP is handling these clients...




Please open a TAC case for this behavior.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.5 User Guide
InstantOS 8.5 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Remote Access Point Solution Guide
ArubaOS Consolidated Release Notes
ArubaOS 8 ViA VPN Solution Guide
Highlighted
Contributor I

Re: Mobile clients *sometimes* not connecting properly

TAC case opened. I included the issue of not reconnecting until issuing # aaa user delete mac

I'll report back here with findings/fixes
Highlighted
Contributor I

Re: Mobile clients *sometimes* not connecting properly

What was the answer to this? What did Tac Find? I ask because I'm seeing something similar (even with a much newer code base - 6.3.11).

 

We are seeing this with Macs as well as Android phones...

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

Re: Mobile clients *sometimes* not connecting properly

Any update on this issue...Any possible resolution..I see similar issue with one of our customer

 

Unable to load videos when on the move and complain about constant disconnection from wifi...logs appear similar to the ones pasted before on this  case. 

 

 14:39:35 :522049:  <INFO> |authmgr|  MAC=b8:76:3f:01:06:d1,IP=0.0.0.0 User role updated, existing Role=xxx/none, new Role=xxx

 

 

Highlighted
Contributor I

Re: Mobile clients *sometimes* not connecting properly

I am also have the same issue, was wondering if anyone had come up with a solution. 

Running Aruba OS 6.1.3.4

 

Connecting through mac authentication + WPA-2 Personal causes connection to take a long time, then when it finally does "connect" it says "limited connectivity" with a 169.x.x.x address. 

To fix this, I have to go through command line and run: aaa user delete mac <mac address> then the user can connect properly.