ArubaOS and Controllers

Contributor I

Re: Monitoring the wireless network via MRTG and Splunk

So far my most useful day-to-day splunk searches have been:

This helps me audit the users that log into the cli. Such as, how often does user amp (the airwave user) login to each controller to do it's checks ...

I run this over 24 hours and see how MAC addresses are getting blacklisted. A little refining on that list helps me find problematic patterns

This helps me find the bulk of my problems. When our users change passwords on their account, they often forget their blackberry and laptop. I can catch these errors early and sometimes before they see the problem themselves.

These are wrong passwords and misconfigured machines. I see thousands of these a day. When one user or MAC sticks out, I can track them down and see what's happening.
EMH
Occasional Contributor II

Your examples/syntax for those splunk searches was very handy, thanks!

Why MRTG and Splunk? MRTG does a great job graphing specific stats from the controller. Splunk search and alerting functionality can’t be beat.
Here is what we are going to monitor with each program:

MTRG-
Users on specific SSIDs – self explanatory
APs on your backup controller – Monitoring this statistic gives you a jump on network issues if lose connectivity to another controller
CPU usage per controller – Just in case something is wrong with your controller you can monitor when the problem started

Hi,

We've used MRTG for years for various switches, proxies, etc. but I'm having trouble getting useful data from our 6000 controller. I'd like to be able to get users per AP, and then show all the APs in each building together on a page. Could someone post some example mrtg config files please?

Thanks.

Sean, did u get anyware with MRTG as i am having problems too
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: