ArubaOS and Controllers

Highlighted

Re: Port status: spanning tree blocking

Troubleshooting remotely is always so much fun. :)

The AP itself shouldn't be causing port 1/1 to go into spanning-tree blocked state on the controller. The controller thinks it's receiving bpdus on that port, and that an inferior path to the root bridge is reachable from that link. Since the AP isn't even getting an IP address, it doesn't appear to be online long enough to boot up, not to mention turn on the radio and bridge traffic.

What do you get with "show poe 1/1" on that remote controller? Is the port providing POE to the downstream device or no? My guess is that while you see 1/1 blocked by spanning tree, you'll see that you have link but also that you're not providing POE.

Charlie Clemmer
Aruba Customer Engineering
Highlighted
Regular Contributor II

Troubleshooting remotely is always so much fun. :)

The AP itself shouldn't be causing port 1/1 to go into spanning-tree blocked state on the controller. The controller thinks it's receiving bpdus on that port, and that an inferior path to the root bridge is reachable from that link. Since the AP isn't even getting an IP address, it doesn't appear to be online long enough to boot up, not to mention turn on the radio and bridge traffic.

What do you get with "show poe 1/1" on that remote controller? Is the port providing POE to the downstream device or no? My guess is that while you see 1/1 blocked by spanning tree, you'll see that you have link but also that you're not providing POE.

Wow, wish I had seen this on Friday (didn't see the page 2 on the bottom!).

You are correct. PoE is showing enabled via the GUI, but after running that command:

(PC###-620) #show poe 1/1

PoE Status
----------
Port Status Voltage(mV) Current(mA) Power (mW)
---- ------ ----------- ----------- ----------
FE 1/1 Off N/A N/A N/A

I did a "no poe" and then turned poe back on, but the result is the same.

Not sure where to go from here?

Oh, and I have another AP on a different controller that is now doing the same thing. I think that office may have suffered some sort of power outage. Controller is up, but AP is blocking.
Highlighted

Very hard to troubleshoot remotely, but what you're seeing here is that we have an active Ethernet link, yet no POE being provided to that port. This is a strong indication that something else has been plugged into that port, thus spanning tree blocking the port in order to prevent a network loop. You also verified this by disabling spanning tree on the controller and witnessing a loop.

I'm not sure next steps that could be taken remotely, be effectively you want/need to trace the cable that connects to that port to find out what else is connected to it, and correct that problem. Usually (at least in my experience), once you find the device that's connected where it shouldn't be, that's when the remote office will admit to having tried to connect the rogue device without your assistance.

Charlie Clemmer
Aruba Customer Engineering
Regular Contributor II

Very hard to troubleshoot remotely, but what you're seeing here is that we have an active Ethernet link, yet no POE being provided to that port. This is a strong indication that something else has been plugged into that port, thus spanning tree blocking the port in order to prevent a network loop. You also verified this by disabling spanning tree on the controller and witnessing a loop.

I'm not sure next steps that could be taken remotely, be effectively you want/need to trace the cable that connects to that port to find out what else is connected to it, and correct that problem. Usually (at least in my experience), once you find the device that's connected where it shouldn't be, that's when the remote office will admit to having tried to connect the rogue device without your assistance.

Thanks. I guess it is possible. This is one of a handful of "non-company" sites that we have - they are effectively independent from us, yet lease our equipment and data lines to remain on our network. They do have a history of trying to circumvent our rules by bringing in their own linksys/d-link/belkin switches/hubs/APs.

So, even though I very specific instructions on how to hook up the equipment and explaining the PoE concept to him (their Marketing and IT Director.......no, I'm not making up that title!), it is possible that he has the AP plugged into a hub/switch, and that plugged into the Aruba controller.

I again asked him to verify the connections, but he is out of the office until Wednesday.

The other office looks like it may be okay - I can't tell right now because the power outage appears to have taken out their DHCP server. At least with that controller the port is no longer in a blocking state, and the PoE status appears to be working.

Thanks again for your help. I'll update again sometime on Wednesday.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: