Cloud Managed Networks

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

AP status down on central & make AP act as a controller.

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  AP status down on central & make AP act as a controller.

Posted Sep 11, 2020 04:28 AM

Hello Guys,

Actually I'm having an issue while configuring AP365 on aruba central.

When I configure the AP with only 1 vlan, on Aruba central the AP is up.  but when I use it with different vlan,

Example: I create a group, place the AP in that group, and create 2 SSID with 2 different vlan the AP is shown as down on the Aruba Central but we are able to connect to the AP. 

Another thing is that how can I make one AP act like a controller ? 

Please check images for more info. 

Thanks

• 2.  RE: AP status down on central & make AP act as a controller.

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 11, 2020 04:35 AM

What is the configuration of the switch port where the AP is connected to? Is the AP management VLAN configured as an untagged VLAN and the SSID (or Client VLANs) are configured as tagged VLANs?

You can specify an AP as a 'Preferred Master'

https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/How-to-enable-and-verify-the-preferred-master-on-Aruba-IAP-using/ta-p/292866

Also remove the Virtual Controller Subnet Mask and Gateway.You only need to add these if the virtual controller IP address is in a different subnet than that of the Instant AP.

• 3.  RE: AP status down on central & make AP act as a controller.

Posted Sep 11, 2020 04:57 AM

Hello Craig, 

Concerning the port where the AP is connected, I configured it as tagged; with 3 vlans (1 for management and the other 2 for the SSID)

Can you confirm if I need to untagged management port & tagged SSID for it to work ?

Also where can the Virtual Controller can be configured ?

• 4.  RE: AP status down on central & make AP act as a controller.
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 11, 2020 04:58 AM

Can you confirm if I need to untagged management port & tagged SSID for it to work ?

- Correct

Also where can the Virtual Controller can be configured ?

You set the IP under System > General : Virtual Controller IP

• 5.  RE: AP status down on central & make AP act as a controller.

Posted Sep 14, 2020 09:10 AM

Thanks mate .. it worked!!