Cloud Managed Networks

Aruba Employee
Aruba Employee

Aruba Central Guide to using Templates with Stacked AOS-Switches

This guide is intended to educate the reader on the use of templates for AOS-Switches.  Also included are working and usable template and variables files, that are built out to support up to a 5 member stack.  My examples are for the 2930M family. 

Be sure to edit the variables file to reflect your Switches Serial number and MACs

Re: Aruba Central Guide to using Templates with Stacked AOS-Switches

I've uploaded Dom's templates (as well as some of my own) to a GitHub repository for easier consumption.

https://github.com/aruba/central-sample-bulk-configurations

Samuel Pérez
ACMP, ACCP, ACDX#100

---

If I answerd your question, please click on "Accept as Solution".
If you find this post useful, give me kudos for it ;)
Contributor I

Hello,

Is this only working with the 2930M? Or also with the 2930F?

Ifso are there any special requirements?

With kind regards,

Rens

The example displays a 2930M, but it would work in a similar fashion with the 2930Fs. The only catch is that the template will look a little bit different, since the 2930F uses front-plane stacking and the 2930M uses backplane stacking.

Samuel Pérez
ACMP, ACCP, ACDX#100

---

Contributor I

Hello,

In case of 2930F how would this process look like?

I assume for the first switch, please correct me if I missed something:

1) power on switch and connect to provider

2) switch receives ip address from dhcp

3) switch initiates contact to Aruba Central

4) Central starts pushing config (vsf info)

5) switch reboots

6) switch receives ip address from dhcp

7) switch initiates contact to Aruba Central

8) Central starts pushing rest of config config

But how would this work for the second and third switch?

How do you make sure the second switch is able to connect to Aruba Central? Do you connect the VSF ports? Or do you need some other work around?

Hope someone can explain.

Regards,

Rens

I'm afraid you'd need an extra configuration step where you enable VSF on the 2nd and 3rd switch locally.

As an alternative, you can also use an ethernet cable for the 2nd switch to have connectivity through a regular port and initiate the ZTP process.

HTH

Samuel Pérez
ACMP, ACCP, ACDX#100

---

Occasional Contributor II

Has anyone got a working template / variables file for VSF switches? :)

Highlighted
MVP Expert
MVP Expert

Hi Chris,

the example template for 2930M hardware/backplane stack in the first post of this thread also can be used for frontplane/VSF stack.

All stack configuration is put into one variable: %_sys_stack_command%

Regardless if you use backplane or frontplane stacking.

Here is the lengthy content of that variable of a VSF stack in production:

vsf\n   enable domain 1\n   member 1\n      type \"JL558A\" mac-address 123456-654321\n      priority 255\n      link 1 1/51-1/52\n      link 1 name \"I-Link1_1\"\n      link 2 name \"I-Link1_2\"\n      exit\n   member 2\n      type \"JL558A\" mac-address 654321-123456\n      priority 128\n      link 1 name \"I-Link2_1\"\n      link 2 2/51-2/52\n      link 2 name \"I-Link2_2\"\n      exit\n   port-speed 10g\n   exit\n

This is all in one line. Line breaks of real configuration are inserted by "\n".

Compare this to the likewiese variable in the template above and you'll see the differences to backplane stacking.

I created that by first configuring VSF stack locally. Afterwards ZTPed it into Central, assigned it to a template group, loaded the existing config of the VSF stack as template into the group.

One uggly thing: If you export this to CSV, the "\n" will be broken into real new lines. So only export to json works.

Regards, Jö

Please give kudos, if you like my post.
Please Accept as solution, if my post was helpful.
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Jo,

I managed to get it to work by enabling VSF domain 1 and rebooting the first switch, then pre-provisioning the other stack members.

I found that I didn’t have to enter anything into the variable for _sys_stack_command as it is automatically pulled from the switch.

This means that for new deployments, I only have to unbox and configure the commander for each stack.

What would be really nice if if Central could support true ZTP for VSF switches, which wouldn’t be too hard.

There could be an ‘enable VSF’ variable which if set, Central could push down the command to enable VSF only without overwriting the _sys_stack_command variable. You could then have populated it with the other members to pre-provision.

One thing I also found was that if a switch serial has joined Central as a stack commander previously, it will not pull down a config as a standalone switch anymore (e.g. if it is factory defaulted).
MVP Expert
MVP Expert

Hi Chris,

"there is room left to improve..." ;-)

Since stack support is relatively new, I expect Aruba to improve that step by step.

maybe it is already possible to ZTP unconfigured switches into Central and enable stacking afterwards...

I didn't check, because I prefere to do some things locally at the beginning, like checking for up to date firmware. And while connected I can configure stacking anyway.

But maybe:

1. ZTP Commander switch into central
  2. Fill _sys_stack_command, maybe for all planned members
  3. Assign Commander to template with stacking enabled
  4. Commander should get VSF config from termplate
  5. maybe manual reboot is needed. Don't remember, if it happens automatically.
  6. After Commander is set and up again, connect members and power them on

As said. Not sure, never tested. I personally think, preconfiguring is much easier ;-)

Regards, Jö

Please give kudos, if you like my post.
Please Accept as solution, if my post was helpful.
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: