Cloud Managed Networks

Occasional Contributor II

Re: Aruba Central Guide to using Templates with Stacked AOS-Switches

Hey Jo,

Didn’t quite work like that when I tested it unfortunately :(

I have logged a request for enhancement on the Aruba Innovation page though :)
Contributor I

Hello Chris and Jö,

I've been doing some testing with this the last few weeks in a Proof of Concept for a customer.

I've managed to get ZTP working with some minor items to take into account.

First the firmware needs to be at the correct level (VSF and Central is only supported in 16.07 and later I believe)

Second switch needs to be in factory default

Third switch shouldn't be connected to Central before.

The steps I take are as follows:

First I add the serial number and mac to Central

second upload the correct variables to central

I unbox the switch

Connect it to the network

switch get's ip address, dns and ntp from network

Switch connects to Central, gets config and automaticly reboots

Unbox the second and third switch

connect the VSF cables

second and third switch reboot and become stack members.

In the variables you need to make sure all the mac addresses for all the switches in the stack are defined correctly

"_sys_lan_mac":"00:fd:45:aa:bb:cc",
    "_sys_serial":"CN74xxxx",
    "_sys_stack_command": "vsf\n   enable domain 1\n   member 1\n      type \"JL261A\" mac-address 00fd45-aabbcc\n      priority 254\n      link 1 1/1\n      link 1 name \"I-Link1_1\"\n      link 2 1/2\n      link 2 name \"I-Link1_2\"\n      exit\n   member 2\n      type \"JL261A\" mac-address 00fd45-bbccdd\n      priority 128\n      link 1 2/1\n      link 1 name \"I-Link2_1\"\n      link 2 2/2\n      link 2 name \"I-Link2_2\"\n      exit\n   member 3\n      type \"JL261A\" mac-address f40343-ddeeff\n      priority 128\n      link 1 3/1\n      link 1 name \"I-Link3_1\"\n      link 2 3/2\n      link 2 name \"I-Link3_2\"\n      exit\n   port-speed 1g\n   exit\n",
    "_sys_template_header": "; hpStack_WC Configuration Editor; Created on release #WC.16.07.0003\n; Ver #14:01.4f.f8.1d.9b.3f.bf.bb.ef.7c.59.fc.6b.fb.9f.fc.ff.ff.37.ef:02\n", 

Second the template header needs to be the one for a stacked setup. single unit is different.

One thing I discovered during testing is the way Central handles the conversion from a stacked unit back to single unit. It doesn't.

So I you've tested and a stacked unit succesfully connected and you want ot test again. Make sure to disconnect the unit and after a while you can delete the stacked switch from central. Now you can start over again by puting the switch in factory default.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Rens

I managed to get this working too, but I didn't have to specify each mac address in the vsf command (i.e. didn't need to do strict vsf provisioning).

Last issue I'm working through is that when a default switch connects to Central for the first time, Central pulls the variables for the switch and overwrites the variables I've set.

I suspect this is because I have missed some variables entries that Central expects.

New Contributor

"I hope my templates and variable files have helped you out - Dom Buonocore :-)"

Indeed they have! Thank you very much for this, I was templating a brand new Central deployment today and had a few queries around the Aruba documentation.

I have  found the actual doco to be very vague, seeing yours and understanding how to if/else and template properly has been a great help.

I am trying to import the template, it s giving me an error message:

error.png

Highlighted

Looks like you’ve got an extra ‘%if % statement in there somewhere or
you’ve forgotten to close it with an %endif%
Aruba Employee
Aruba Employee

Yes I just realised this the other day, sorry I zipped up a slightly older version of the tempalte than I thought it did.  I will up date the zip file in the next day or two.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: