Cloud Managed Networks

Contributor I

Re: Aruba Central Managing Switches

I got mixed news

a good new....

i was able to add and view a non default configuration 3810 device, i could look out the vlan configuration and some advanced configs using the Troubleshotting tool.

a bad new....

if you want to add the swtich statics to a group... you are toasted... the group config will overwritten to the switch. You will loose all the vlan, ports etc stuff.

If you choose to do it by the CLI sniplet, these changes wil be not displayed in the vlan section

it is the way supposed to be working.

worst news...

if you choose do not put the new switch with no default configuration to any group Aruba central display an annioing message to import the config to a group. 

this message remains even after you unsuscribe the switch and put it on a diferent group (ie default). 

the only way to get rid of this message, is going to the reports secction, next go to the offline switch secction and delete the offending switch.

i was not whorty the effort to get the switches on aruba central if you have to do twice the config... vlan, ports and other stuff by using the Aruba Central UI and the rest using CLI Snipplet.

i am dissapointed... 

Contributor I

thank you Jon Green

i proceded to follow this steps and everithing goes as you said.

You save me a lot of time, but the results were dissaponting.

regardless i appreciate your help and if you get attention from the Aruba´s M&R Team about this behaviour, let us know.

@jgreen wrote:

This thread is a bit old but it's the #1 hit on Google for "aruba central manage switches" so I thought it would be useful to update.

I can confirm that you no longer need to reset switches to factory default in order to add them to Central.  Not sure which software version is required on the switches but I'm running 16.05 on some 2930Fs and was able to take an already-configured switch and put it in Central.  Key was setting up DNS servers so that the switch could find "device.arubanetworks.com".  Once I configured DNS servers, "show activate provision" started working, and then I was able to do "activate provision force" and that got the switch to talk to Activate.  After that, they showed up in my Central account and I was able to import.

I'm just a poor security guy so unfortunately can't provide much more detail - I am figuring this out as I go along. :)

Contributor I

@fjulianom
 wrote:

Hi man,

Good luck and let us know!

Regards,

Julián

Sorry Julian, Bad Luck No succsess! :(

Highlighted

Hi,

Definitely Aruba must make more efforts in improving Aruba Central. I have also worked with it and it falls short on some things.

Regards,

Julián

Hi everyone

Engineering is working on improving the GUI-based switch configuration section in Aruba Central, which as some of you have mentioned, does have some annoying limitations.

In the meantime, here's some clarification to one of the questions in this thread: When using UI groups, the config present in Central (in the UI section) will override anything sent via the CLI snippets (or configured locally by typing "aruba-central support-mode enable"). It will not, however, override configs that can't be done through the GUI.

Aruba Central also supports configuring switches by means of templates, which in my opinion are much more powerful. There is a certain learning curve to it, but once you get the hang of it, you can do anything you need. I'm attaching a document that explains very well how to manage switches using Template Groups.

I hope this helps.

Samuel Pérez
ACMP, ACCP, ACDX#100

---

If I answerd your question, please click on "Accept as Solution".
If you find this post useful, give me kudos for it ;)
Occasional Contributor II

@TcoloT-AdolfoZameza wrote:

I got mixed news

a good new....

i was able to add and view a non default configuration 3810 device, i could look out the vlan configuration and some advanced configs using the Troubleshotting tool.

a bad new....

if you want to add the swtich statics to a group... you are toasted... the group config will overwritten to the switch. You will loose all the vlan, ports etc stuff.

If you choose to do it by the CLI sniplet, these changes wil be not displayed in the vlan section

it is the way supposed to be working.

worst news...

if you choose do not put the new switch with no default configuration to any group Aruba central display an annioing message to import the config to a group. 

this message remains even after you unsuscribe the switch and put it on a diferent group (ie default). 

the only way to get rid of this message, is going to the reports secction, next go to the offline switch secction and delete the offending switch.

i was not whorty the effort to get the switches on aruba central if you have to do twice the config... vlan, ports and other stuff by using the Aruba Central UI and the rest using CLI Snipplet.

i am dissapointed... 

Hello Team,

I had exactly the same experience i have some aruba 2540 that they already have configuration (port,vlan,static ip configured for managment etc) in order to make central to see the switch you have to subscribe the switch in the central  assigne it to customer if you are in msp mode and from the switch give "activate provision force"

and check with "show activate provision" version should be the latest 16.06.

The problem i have is that when is not assigned to any group everything look nice and fine but you have the alert message.

If you try to add it in a group(UI) you lose everything as mentioned above.If you put it in template group you keep the config but you lose the UI configuration.

What i have found as a workaround is to use import configuration in a group this makes your preconfigures switch working fine.

But i am wondering if you have 30 switches you need to create 30 Groups ?

Does anybody have any newer update ?

Thank you

Contributor I

today i have been recived a complain for the sales team, because the customer WANTS to see this switch in CENTRAL.

this is the news...  **bleep**.

New Contributor

Here's what you need to do:

1. Create a template group in your organization
    1. This creates a landing point for your existing device(s)
  2.  Export the config from your existing / configured switch to a text file
  3. Import that config to the template group as the 'template file' - the base configuration to be applied
  4. If changes are needed to that config - you will use 'variable files' in the future to make the changes;  this involves:
    1. taking the variables contained in that earlier template file and exporting/downloading them as a 'variables file'
      1. you can download the variables file of one device by filtering to that single device before downloading
    2. Edit / add to that file any configuration changes required
      1. Export is JSON format
    3. Upload that edited variables file to the group template
  5. As soon as you save it - the variables will be applied
    ** Note - it will apply to all devices in that group;  BACKUP ALL DEVICE CONFIGS (the variables file) BEFORE UPLOADING A NEW ONE
    1. Another benefit of exporting only a single device’s variables for editing: when you re-upload it, it will only implement the changes you submit for that single device

Workflow: 

[template group + variables file] --> Backup --> filter to single device --> download

--> edit variables --> upload variables file --> ‘save’ --> changes to one device implemented

There's a guide that's pretty verbose which covers this as well.

http://help.central.arubanetworks.com/latest/documentation/online_help/content/pdfs/central/aruba_central_user_guide.pdf

Start on Page 63:

"For information on configuration templates for Instant APs and switches, see the following topics:

• Configuring Instant APs Using Templates on page 240
  • Provisioning Switches Using Configuration Templates on page 248 "

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Contributor I

a lot of efforts to put a single TXT file.

IT IS NOT PRACTICAL.

I'm not sure if you've already had the chance to test it, but Central now supports bringing a configured switch and importing its configuration into a template. This should definitely make things easier!!!

The process, as documented in the user guide, is as follows:

To import configuration text from a switch that is already provisioned in the template group:

a. Select the switch from which you want to import the configuration.

b. Click Import Template. The imported configuration is displayed in the Template text box.

c. If required, modify the configuration parameters. Ensure that the template text adheres to the guidelines listed in the Important Points to Note.

I hope this helps

Samuel Pérez
ACMP, ACCP, ACDX#100

---

If I answerd your question, please click on "Accept as Solution".
If you find this post useful, give me kudos for it ;)
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: