Cloud Managed Networks

Contributor I

Re: Aruba Central Managing Switches

i´ll definitive try this as soon as i can. 

it makes more sense... i will let you know, for the moment i have no switches avaliable. 

Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

If you have many preconfigured switches like 20 lets say it seems is not scalable you have to make 20 groups (one/per switch) to keep/import the config.

From my opinion generally central is not mature and for sure not ready yet for switches.

Highlighted

Nobody is suggesting that you import one template per switch, that would be a terrible design. The desired workflow is that you have a common template for similar and that you leverage variables to make device-specific overrides (hostname, ip, port configurations, etc).

Samuel Pérez
ACMP, ACCP, ACDX#100

---

If I answerd your question, please click on "Accept as Solution".
If you find this post useful, give me kudos for it ;)
Contributor II

Hey all,

Templates did not work when Aruba presented them to us, and I have slim confidence they will today. Make sure you do a significant investigation into how they work, and how feasible/scalable they are to your business. 

I'm still not sure how it's feasible to say "hey use one template, but go make specific and unique changes to every single device you have" (I have around 16,000 right now). It'd be easier to do that in a UI group, as then you wouldn't have to go manually edit a .json, re-import, and pray it works. 

Thankfully the UI groups have gained some intelligence over the years and now recognize that a MAS is not an Aruba Switch which is also not an IAP.  We're aiming to have a "site" worth of gear in one logical group within Central.

Be aware that Central currently has no way of indicating where device-specific or "local" overrides are present and I feel that's unmanagable and unrealistic in the long term?  Are we just supposed to remember?  And lets not get started on the "Filters" pane.

Central is still lagging behind quite a bit in terms of functional management options for non-uniform configurations and hardware. 

Currently your only option for templates is to write it yourself in the terrible javascript "editor" in Central.  Then you have to create a .json or .csv and import them to match up every variable to the template. Also you have to statically specify each/every serial and mac wihin the .json or .csv else it will never work. Then you have to hope there isn't anything wrong because last time I checked, it'd accept an invalid config and not say anything...it just wouldn't work. Does anyone know if this has been corrected?

If you want to UI manage your switches like we have to, be ready for some lengthy troubleshooting. If your configuration is 100% identical, use Templates.

Also watch out for Configuration Audit failing to push config changes or telling you there is a problem as it tries to remove unremovable syntax from a switch/AP.

@kbarret. There are customers with 1000s of switches managed by Central (using templates, of course). When a deployment becomes that large, we tend to recommend using APIs, as it allows for much better automation. Given the size of your depoyment, I would suggest you explore that possibility. If you work with your SE on this he should be able to help you find a good partner to help you build a framework.

This of course, won't work for customers with 20 switches. For those, I personally feel the best option is to use CSV files to manage variables. Considering how ArubaOS switch is configured, where you associate tagged/untagged ports to VLANS, and not the opposite. A handful of variables are generally enough.

In any case, I'll take the action item to start posting sample template/variables, as well as some template scripts to make things easier.

Regards

P.S. I completely agree with @kbarret on his comment on config snippets. This feature is just intended for testing/troubleshooting, not for permanent configurations. Please don't use it as a replacement for switch templates.

Samuel Pérez
ACMP, ACCP, ACDX#100

---

If I answerd your question, please click on "Accept as Solution".
If you find this post useful, give me kudos for it ;)
Contributor II

Noted Samuel, and thanks very much for the recommendation.  I'll chat with my SE about it.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: