Cloud Managed Networks

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

How to manage Aruba AP locally only

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  How to manage Aruba AP locally only

Posted Nov 19, 2018 09:28 PM

Hi!

I was sent a free Aruba 303H wireless AP.   I didn't like it.   The Aruba people said I could keep it and give it to a friend or loan it to one if I'd like.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to remove the AP so it's managed locally, via the CLI or the web interface and not being configured and managed by Aruba Central but for the life of me, I cannot figure this out!

I know how to delete the AP from Aruba Central by taking the AP offline.   But as soon as we fire the AP back up, it reconnects to Aruba Central.   Could someone please explain how I remove this completely from Aruba Central so it is only managed locally?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: How to manage Aruba AP locally only

Posted Nov 19, 2018 09:45 PM

If it matters, when I log into Aruba Central, and go to:

https://app-prod2.central.arubanetworks.com/frontend/#/SUBSCRIPTIONKEYS

It shows:

Assigned Device Subscriptions

IAP

Switches

Gateway Devices

Available Device Subscriptions

I found documentation on the internet and this site that says remove the subscription and we can manage it locally, but there doesn't appear to be any subscriptions...

• 3.  RE: How to manage Aruba AP locally only
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 20, 2018 03:34 AM

Hi, you are correct that when you remove the subscription, the ap becomes local managed.

In central:

global settings - subscription assignment remove the subscription from the iap - Click update subscript

• 4.  RE: How to manage Aruba AP locally only

Posted Nov 20, 2018 12:55 PM
      |   view attached

@AirBubble wrote:

...In central:

global settings - subscription assignment remove the subscription from the iap - Click update subscript

That's what all the documentation I found suggests, but unfortunetly, I think there might be a flaw with the Aruba Central's website.

There is no Subscription Assignment under Global Settings.   Even though the trial subscription expired, I am still able to do everything in Central that I was able to do when I had a valid subscription.   That shouldn't happen, correct?   Without a subscription, I should not be able to manage the AP from Aruba Central, I'd think.

I've attached a screen shot of Global Settings, just in case I'm in the wrong area.

Notice how in the upper left, it shows "undefined days left".   Am I doing something wrong here or is my hypothesis correct and I should not be able to manage this device in Aruba Central without a subscription?   Is this the reason I don't see the subscription assignment tab?   Thanks!

• 5.  RE: How to manage Aruba AP locally only

Posted Nov 20, 2018 05:15 PM

After viewing @AirBubble's response, I figured there was something wrong, possibly out of my control.

I contacted Aruba Central tech support.   The person who helped me was excellent and figured out what was going on.   The device was assigned to an MSP account that had the admin rights to add / remove licenses.   It was the Aruba Central person who sent us the device to try.   For some reason, it was assigned to his account.

This allowed us to manage it like we did when we had a valid subscription, even though we currently did not have a valid subscription.   I believe the MSP account owner had the valid subscriptions.

They contacted him and was able to have him remove the device from his account, and now, we should be able to manage it locally or have someone tie it to their Aruba Central account, if they'd like.   I will accept AirBubble's answer though.

Thanks for the help!