Community Feedback

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

Airwave Zero Touch - No Gateway over DHCP when default VLAN is changed.

Hi guys,

We've just had Airwave and some test equipment to play around with and we're trying Zero-Touch. Overall it seems to be working well with templates etc. We're getting a problem though.

When we change the default VLAN from 1 to another VLAN (via the template), the switch still gets the right IP address over DHCP, but it doesn't pull in the gateway (like it did on VLAN 1). This obviously causes a problem, as we lose access to the switch via Airwave and from anything on a different subnet.

We've figured out that we can statically set the gateway via the template and that solves the problem, but we'd rather it came in automatically. Otherwise we're going to have create multiple templates for all our different sites.Does anybody know if this is achievable ?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

Re: Airwave Zero Touch - No Gateway over DHCP when default VLAN is changed.

I've actually done some research and came across an article explaining my issue. For anyone who has the same problem, here is a snippet from an HP site:

In the factory-default configuration, the default VLAN (named DEFAULT_VLAN) is the switch’s primary VLAN. The switch uses the primary VLAN for learning the default gateway address. The switch can also learn other settings from a DHCP or Bootp server, such as (packet) Time-To-Live (TTL), and Timep or SNMP settings. (Other VLANs can also use DHCP or BootP to acquire IP addressing. However, the switch’s gateway, TTL, and TimeP or SNTP values, which are applied globally, and not per-VLAN, will be acquired through the primary VLAN only, unless manually set by using the CLI, Menu, or WebAgent. (If these parameters are manually set, they will not be overwritten by alternate values received from a DHCP or Bootp server.) For more on VLANs, see the chapter titled “Static Virtual LANs” in the Advanced Traffic Management Guide for your switch.

So looks like you can't obtain the default-gateway via DHCP on anything other than VLAN 1 (Default). Shame.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor I

Re: Airwave Zero Touch - No Gateway over DHCP when default VLAN is changed.

I've actually done some research and came across an article explaining my issue. For anyone who has the same problem, here is a snippet from an HP site:

In the factory-default configuration, the default VLAN (named DEFAULT_VLAN) is the switch’s primary VLAN. The switch uses the primary VLAN for learning the default gateway address. The switch can also learn other settings from a DHCP or Bootp server, such as (packet) Time-To-Live (TTL), and Timep or SNMP settings. (Other VLANs can also use DHCP or BootP to acquire IP addressing. However, the switch’s gateway, TTL, and TimeP or SNTP values, which are applied globally, and not per-VLAN, will be acquired through the primary VLAN only, unless manually set by using the CLI, Menu, or WebAgent. (If these parameters are manually set, they will not be overwritten by alternate values received from a DHCP or Bootp server.) For more on VLANs, see the chapter titled “Static Virtual LANs” in the Advanced Traffic Management Guide for your switch.

So looks like you can't obtain the default-gateway via DHCP on anything other than VLAN 1 (Default). Shame.

View solution in original post

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: