Community Feedback

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Captive portal re-authentication when the user moves to new MC on AOS 8.

Hi,

I have 3 MC on the network. The client move from MC1 -> MC2 -> MC3. It's will redirect to the captive portal to authenticate.

Can I fix this problem about the captive portal authentication when the client moves to other MC

Cluster Connection Types: L2 Connected
3 MC on Clusters
AOS 8.3.0.5
Redundancy: Enable
AP Load Balancing: Enable

Guru Elite

Re: Captive portal re-authentication when the user moves to new MC on AOS 8.

The user should never move to another MC in a cluster.  It always should remain on the same controller, no matter what access point it roams to.

On the MM, the command 

show global-user-table list

should show you what controller a user is on.  It should not change, in a cluster.  If your user has to reauthenticate, your cluster might be misconfigured.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Guru Elite

SSH into any controller in your cluster and type "show lc-cluster group-membership" to see if they are fully clustered.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars

I have checked the cluster as below. I think it fully clustered. Any another point to check this problemshow lc-cluster.jpg

Guru Elite

I would turn on user debugging for that user at the cluster level to understand why the user is being returned to the captive portal.

config t

logging level debugging user-debug <mac address of user>

You would then do "write mem" on the MM

SSH into the MD with the user on it and type "show log user-debug all" to see why the user is being returned to the logon role 

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars

Hi,

I have test again by walking around my office to check this problem. It does not occur if the client is in coverage of WiFi signal.
The client will re-authentication when out of WiFi coverage. I have attached debug log.

The idle timer change to 0 sec when client out of coverage.

Jan 30 16:10:12 authmgr[4019]: <522234> <5221> <DBUG> |authmgr| Setting idle timer for user d0:c5:f3:18:90:71 to 0 seconds (idle timeout: 900 ageout: 1000).

How I can fix this problem?

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: