VIA – Aruba’s Remote Access Client
Aruba’s VIA (Virtual Intranet Access) is a VPN client which enables remote access to the corporate network for road warriors. It is primarily intended for secure transmission for data and multimedia applications on laptops and mobile devices such as iPads and iPhones. Use cases for VIA include subscription based hotspots, home teleworker remote access, and hotel guests connecting to their corporate resources.
Aruba’s VIA incorporates several key innovations:
- VIA is simple to provision and manage. The customer does not have to purchase several different appliances or devices to provide a simple VPN connection back to corporate. VIA does not require extensive configurations or knobs to setup.
- VIA works automatically without requiring the user to consciously turn on the secure tunnel. It detects the presence of an untrusted network and dynamically creates the VPN tunnel back to the corporate server.
- VIA connects to an Aruba Mobility Controller to terminate the VPN tunnel. For customers that are already using Aruba WLAN products, this ensures that the same user-centric policy controls that exist for the wireless LAN, wired LAN, and branch office also extend to the remote teleworker. This simplifies management and policy provisioning.
Aruba’s VIA supports different methods of authentication such as username/password, X.509 certificate, EAP (Extensible Authentication Protocol - EAP-TLS and EAP-MSCHAPv2), and two-factor authentication.
Suite B is a new set of cryptographic algorithms that are approved by the US Government for use in classified communication. VIA supports Suite B cryptography and provides support for:
- RFC 4869 “Suite B Cryptographic Suites for IPsec”
- AES-GCM 128/256 for bulk data transfer
- ECDSA for digital signatures, including support for X.509v3 certificates using ECDSA keys with p256/p384 curves
- ECDH for key agreement using p256/p384 curves
- SHA-256 and SHA-384 for message digests
Aruba’s VIA is supported on supported on the following client platforms:
- Windows XP SP2 and above
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7.0
- MAC OS