What is Preserve VLAN knob do on Virtual-ap profile and It`s use-case?
Environment- Typically in a High density populated with good number of users configured with VLAN pooling on the VAP profile
- When ‘preserve-vlan’ knob is enabled for a ‘virtual-ap’, the controller can try to retain the VLAN ID for the client by looking up the client MAC in the bridge table.
- If the entry is found, the controller will retain the VLAN for the client. If an entry is not found, the controller may allocate a new VLAN ID for the client.
(Aruba-testlab) (config) #wlan virtual-ap test
(tac-rap.arubanetworks.com) (Virtual AP profile "test") #?
preserve-vlan Preserve Client VLAN Across VLAN Pool Change
Sample config below:
wlan virtual-ap "LAB"
- In High-density populated network we may need to use the VLAN pooling (Hash or Even) for client distribution to limit broadcast and multicast on each and every VLAN and load-balance the clients across VLAN`s.
- Use case would be when clients connected initially on one VLAN and dropped off/de-authenticated and came back within the lease time client would maintain the same VLAN by not doing the DHCP and go to different VLAN.
- By this way, we could preserve Client VLAN which would be of great help as it is possible in a busy environment Smart phone was just used for few min, then goes offline and may come back again after few mins.