Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

2 IAP Clusters on 1 site

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  2 IAP Clusters on 1 site

Posted Jun 28, 2018 04:45 AM

Hi,

I was hoping someone could point me towards a guide possibly on how to setup two instant networks at the same site?

For example I currently have 10 IAP-105’s (in one cluster) and would like to add 305s to a separate cluster

My understanding was that when you turn these on they will see the other Aruba network and attempt to join it however, it will always fail due to it being mismatched in their firmware.

Can both networks run side by side? If so how would I tell the 305’s to not join the 105 Network?

Kind Regards,

Rieyaad

• 2.  RE: 2 IAP Clusters on 1 site
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jun 28, 2018 04:55 AM

IAP's will automatically join the same cluster if they are part of the same L2 broadcast domain. You could have two IAP clusters at the same site providing they are in separate L2 domains however I expect this is not recommended.

The IAP105 and IAP305 are not able to be part of the same cluster as the AP305 requires a minimum of Aruba InstantOS 4.3.1.0 which is not supported by the IAP105.

You can disable auto-join on each of the clusters and manually add the MAC of each IAP you wish to join if they are in the same L2 domain.

This being said however from a RF point of view, you have a split RF domain so the contention domain will be increased if the AP's are within earshot of each other. 

What is the requirement for the additional network? Can this not be something which is implemented on the existing hardware?

• 3.  RE: 2 IAP Clusters on 1 site

Posted Jun 28, 2018 05:11 AM

Thanks for the information.

The school that wants this done can no longer buy IAP 105s and IAP 205s so they are settling for IAP 305s which is why they would want to know if it is possible to have 2 separate clusters on 1 site and how can it be done

• 4.  RE: 2 IAP Clusters on 1 site

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jun 28, 2018 05:28 AM

Will the clusters be shared the same SSID information and within earshot of each other. For example will the networks be in separate buildings? Or in the same building?

• 5.  RE: 2 IAP Clusters on 1 site

Posted Jul 06, 2018 03:27 AM

Thanks for the information. This has helped alot