Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

2 of 4 Access Points Drop When Alarm System is Turned on or Off

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  2 of 4 Access Points Drop When Alarm System is Turned on or Off

Posted Apr 18, 2013 08:45 AM

Hi. We are using 4 AIP-105's. Access points 2 and 4 drop when the alarm system is either turned on or off. I can see this in the logs. We have called the security company and they say that their system does not use wireless.

The access points stay down (Not displayed in the AP list) all night until the alarm system is deactivated in the morning.

Does anyone have any ideas ?  We only have about 1 random drop a day (AP 2) but we do have erratic performance. We have offices on two floors and all AP's are in the ceiling of the first floor. Most users on the 2nd floor have full strength. What is strange as well is that when the alarm is enabled on the second floor their is no problem. When the alarm is enabled on the first floor then the AP's drop.

All Access points are powered by POE.

Thanks in advance for any information or ideas.

• 2.  RE: 2 of 4 Access Points Drop When Alarm System is Turned on or Off

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 18, 2013 05:28 PM

What do you see in the logs?

• 3.  RE: 2 of 4 Access Points Drop When Alarm System is Turned on or Off

Posted Apr 19, 2013 03:32 AM

Hi. I will supply this information as soon as I have it.

• 4.  RE: 2 of 4 Access Points Drop When Alarm System is Turned on or Off

Posted May 24, 2013 02:43 PM

Just a thought....are any of the security alarm devices plugged into the PoE switch your IAP's are plugged into? Other PoE devices may be consuming more wattage at that time and if they are on lower numbered ports than the IAP's may be using the PoE priority over the access points. 

• 5.  RE: 2 of 4 Access Points Drop When Alarm System is Turned on or Off

Posted May 24, 2013 04:47 PM

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I did actually move one to a new power outlet and now it does not drop. I also turned the same one in to a spectrum monitor and noticed that only abot 4 channels on 2.4Ghz were useable. The interference on the other channles was very high. I also have 2 video devices that are causing interference. One on channels  1 and 2 and the other on 6-11. I cannot find where these devices are located (see attachments)