Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

802.1x against azure AD Not using Clearpass

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  802.1x against azure AD Not using Clearpass

Posted Feb 07, 2020 08:41 PM

Hi all,

does anybody attempted to do this? I can’t find useful info or if even it it is feasible to accomplish without ClearPass, 

I would really thank your comments 

• 2.  RE: 802.1x against azure AD Not using Clearpass

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 07, 2020 09:19 PM

Certainly possible but you need some mechanism to get a certificate on every device.

• 3.  RE: 802.1x against azure AD Not using Clearpass

Posted Feb 07, 2020 10:47 PM

thanks Tim,
    Would QuickConnect do the job? Is there a document like a tech brief describing this scenario?

• 4.  RE: 802.1x against azure AD Not using Clearpass

Posted Feb 09, 2020 10:21 AM

With Intune you can deploy both user and computer certificates to managed devices. This certificate can be used to do 802.1x authentication.

• 5.  RE: 802.1x against azure AD Not using Clearpass

Posted Feb 10, 2020 08:24 AM

Thanks Willem, I´ll explore Intune for certificate deployment, it looks like should work.

We´ve done many deployments of 802.1x auth with on prem AD and NPS, never done one with Azure AD, if someone has a guide to do this, or any resource we can read about it´ll be much appreciated

thanks

• 6.  RE: 802.1x against azure AD Not using Clearpass

Posted Feb 10, 2020 08:32 AM

I have no documentation but it's straight forward. Just deploy a certificate to the client and configure the client to do EAP-TLS.

You maybe need to disabled EAP-TLS authorization in ClearPass because the computer account doesn't exist in the Authentication source. For authorization you can use the Intune extension if needed.

• 7.  RE: 802.1x against azure AD Not using Clearpass

Posted Feb 10, 2020 08:52 AM

We´ll not ve using ClearPass, it´s an IAP cluster, No ClearPass.

When using on Prem AD we have NPS and a local CA, all authentication is done in L2. 

What do we need to setup when using Arure AD? what about NPS and the CA?

• 8.  RE: 802.1x against azure AD Not using Clearpass

Posted Feb 10, 2020 09:38 AM

There is no big difference. NPS will still handle the 802.1x authentication. However, there is one difference because you will probably not join the machine to Azure AD. Because the machine are not joined NPS is not able to do authorization. However, because the authentication is done using EAP-TLS this can still work. However, you have to disable the requirement to have a computer/user account in the AD. I know this is possible to do with NPS but don't have to configuration. I thought this has to be configured in the registry.  

• 9.  RE: 802.1x against azure AD Not using Clearpass

Posted Feb 10, 2020 09:44 AM

You mean using an NPS machine on premise?

• 10.  RE: 802.1x against azure AD Not using Clearpass

Posted Feb 10, 2020 09:53 AM

You can use NPS on prem or install NPS at the server in Azure.

• 11.  RE: 802.1x against azure AD Not using Clearpass

Posted Feb 10, 2020 01:19 PM

Thank you Willem for your help, I´ll try to configure a PoC and will post a feedback

Best regards

• 12.  RE: 802.1x against azure AD Not using Clearpass

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Feb 10, 2020 02:14 PM

Did you see the "ClearPass with Azure AD and Intune integration" serie on the youtube ABC networking channel? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlcrqTDDufU

What i reminder from a collegue that help me at a customer with Intune:

• For certificate enrollment through Intune we needed a NDES server.
    • In ClearPass we had to turn of "authorization" in the EAP-TLS settings

With the ClearPass Intune plugin you can get some attributes from Intune. Not sure if NPS have that kind of plugin features but basic authentication without authorization can be done.

• 13.  RE: 802.1x against azure AD Not using Clearpass

Posted Feb 11, 2020 11:42 AM

Thanks Marcel, I watched  the video and it´s very helpful when using Clearpass and Intune, my scenario is not using Clearpass. 

We want to set this up 802.1x for client authentication with plain MS tools if possible.

kind regards

• 14.  RE: 802.1x against azure AD Not using Clearpass

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 11, 2020 07:03 PM

Any RADIUS server should support EAP-TLS.

• 15.  RE: 802.1x against azure AD Not using Clearpass

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 12, 2020 06:46 AM

The IAP do not care about which Radius server is authenticating a device. Therefore the 802.1x configuration is the same whether you use ClearPass or MS NPS or any other Radius server.

For MS specific information you might want to check Microsoft resources directly, eg. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/networking/technologies/nps/nps-crp-crpolicies

There is also an article on client certificate requirements for EAP-TLS operation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/networking/technologies/nps/nps-manage-cert-requirements