Controllerless Networks

New Contributor

AP 105 Controller on IAP 105 network

I picked up 10 used (what I thought were IAP105's) AP-105's.  I have 25 IAP 105's on my network already.  My questions:

1. Can I setup the AP-105 to connect to the virtual controller on the IAP-105 network

2. If so, does it have to be configured over console?

3. If I can't do that, I will have to buy a controller.  I am due for a major overhaul in 7-9 months, so I don't want to buy anything new.  Anyone know what controllers will manage these? From what I  have found, I'll need a 24 unit controller. 

4. If a controller is introduced, will it mess with my current IAP's?

Thanks for help in advance!

Drew

Guru Elite

Re: AP 105 Controller on IAP 105 network

No, the campus APs cannot be managed by the Instant VC.

A 7010 controller will server 32 APs. You can either leave your Instant APs as is or convert them for use with the controller.

| Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security | @timcappalli | timcappalli.me |

NOTE: Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
New Contributor

So they will not run in a mixed environment?  From what I have seen, it looks as though they plug directly into the device, and this is going in a 60,000 sq ft school, with multiple switching locations.  

Should I just scrap these?

Guru Elite

The AP-105s require a controller. Once you have a controller, the IAP-105s can either be converted to use the controller or remain independent running Instant.

NOTE: Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Great. Last part of the question... Do they need to plug directly into the controller?  The 7010 is $3000, I just don't have that kind of a budget right now.  I'll sell these buy IAP's if I have to, but I'd rather get an older controller that can be scrapped in 7-9 months.

Thanks for all your answers thus far, Cappalli.

Guru Elite

No, they can plug into any edge switch with IP space routable back to the controller.

You could use an older 3200XM controller.

New Contributor

Thank you for all your time!

PAF
Contributor I

Hi there,

Could someone tell me what WiFi controllers I could use i.e. is compatible with AP -105 AP's. Thanks 

Guru Elite

All controllers should be compatible with the AP-105.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
PAF
Contributor I

Hi Colin,

Thanks.

Search Airheads