Controllerless Networks

PAF
Contributor I

Re: AP 105 Controller on IAP 105 network

Hi Colin,

Would an Aruba 800 or 800-4 controller do it? I'm looking at a maximum of 16 AP's I believe these would work I would just like confirmatio of that.

Guru Elite

The 800 or 804 controller has been discontinued and will not run anything past ArubaOS 5.0.4.17. http://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/support/EOS_800.pdf

The 5.0.1.17 firmware was released two years ago and is also end of support:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/end-of-life/#ArubaOSSoftware  Many features and functionality has been added since.  In addition, any problems or issues with new clients on end of life hardware and software  cannot be fixed.  Please keep this in mind before attempting to obtaining end-of-life hardware or software.

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Central Documentation
Aruba Technical Webinars
Highlighted
PAF
Contributor I

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the info. how about an Aruba S2500-24P?

Guru Elite

That is a switch.  It cannot terminate APs.  It is also end of sale..

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
PAF
Contributor I

Hi Colin,

Yeah, my mistake. I'm just trying to find something (second hand) within a very tight budget.

PAF
Contributor I

I'd like a controller for 16 AP's what would be the best and affordable unit I could buy? Thanks

Guru Elite

I would say the most affordable thing you could do is get IAP-105s, because those still support the latest GA code, and it would not require you to purchase a controller.  If you purchase a controller, and the only one you can afford is end of life, the code will not be upgraded to support any issues that might occur with newer clients., and that could cause trouble down the road.

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
PAF
Contributor I

Hi Colin,

Is an Aruba 3400 MULTI-SERVICE MOBILITY CONTROLLER still supported and capable of the utilising the latest AOS? Thanks

Guru Elite

The 3000 series (3400 included), will only support up to ArubaOS 6.4
http://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/support/EOS_Notice_3000_Series_Controllers.pdf

ArubaOS 8.4 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
Aruba Technical Webinars
Contributor II

Hello PAF,

I assume that you already have the AP-105 access points. Why not use the Aruba 7005 controller which supports up to 16 AP's? Below is a compatability list:

http://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/end-of-life/#AccessPoints

I'm not sure what you mean by a "tight" budget, but that controller is approximately $1500 USD list.

Or the 7008 controller which also supports 16 AP's and provides 100W PoE+. List is approximately $2600 USD list.

If this is going into a production environment, Aruba does not recommend maxing out the capacity of the controller. You will need to plan for future growth, etc.

Thanks,

-HLavender

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: