Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-303, Confused if it is instant?

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  AP-303, Confused if it is instant?

Posted Oct 31, 2019 11:52 AM

Hello,

I am looking at the AP-303 units,

It looks like all of the units are listed as AP-303 and there are no IAP-303.

Reading the information it says that they can be controller or congtrollerless. So if from what I read that the AP-303 does not have an IAP-303 counterpart but the AP-303 can be pout into instant mode? From what I understand it is just a mater of loading IAP or AP firmware as the unit will accept both?

I also read something from a little while ago about someone asking to put them in instant mode and that the IAP software was not out yet. I know this was like in 2018 but just curious if this is settled out.

I have a locvation that can use 2 AP-303s in Instant Mode.

Am I understanding the AP-303 series right? That you buy the AP-303 and either apply the IAP or AP firmware for which use you want?

Thank You

• 2.  RE: AP-303, Confused if it is instant?
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 31, 2019 12:02 PM

The 303 model is an UAP.

It can be configured to be an instant or a controller based AP. As to how to do that,

• Unified AP will broadcast a SSID SetMeUP-xx:xx:xx.
    • Connect to this SSID
    • Go to your browser and open the website https://setmeup.arubanetworks.com,
    • Login with the credentials admin/admin.  
    • Then follow the instructions to convert to AP or IAP.

--Give Kudos: found something helpful, important, or cool? Click Kudos Star in a post.
    --Problem Solved? Click "Accepted Solution" in a post.

• 3.  RE: AP-303, Confused if it is instant?

Posted Oct 31, 2019 02:16 PM

Thank You!

I forgot to mention I did see them call it Unifying.

All Vendors IMO do a horible job at naming their products. Don't know why they would not have it listed as UAP like they have AP and IAP. to distinguish it as such in their material?

JUst curious why the Unifying model? Reasoning between having AP, IAP and UAP? Is the Unifying line releatively new? did the 100s and 200s have a Unifying line? I have just started using Aruba in the last year and am learning.

I was also looking at the 500 series 802.11ax and was disapointed I found no IAP version but on taking a close look at Data Sheet on page 3 it says either Instant or Controller Managed. No mention of Unifying.

Where the Datasheet for the AP-303 has adifferent description on page 1 of their Data sheet. Calling it Unified and usable as Controller OS or IOS

So I don't know but for me someone just learning, Datasheets and APs not following the same nomenclature is a little confusing.

• 4.  RE: AP-303, Confused if it is instant?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 31, 2019 02:37 PM

When we first combined controller-based (AOS) and controller-less (Instant) deployment options in a single product SKU for new AP models (by early 2017), we used the term "unified", but since this is now our generic implementation for all new AP models, there's less and less need to differentiate this from the legacy AP and IAP/RAP models.

The advantage of this is simple; we're not locking in customers to a particular deployment mode; the same device can be used with or without a controller.

• 5.  RE: AP-303, Confused if it is instant?

Posted Nov 01, 2019 10:19 AM

Appricate this info. Also Kudos for Aruba seeing the big picture.

Wished more companies did not lock you in.

• 6.  RE: AP-303, Confused if it is instant?

Posted May 19, 2020 08:38 PM

good afternoon, I have 24 AP 303 and I would like to have them controlled with a master, but these APs are in different network segments, could they be integrated between them?