Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-367 AP register fail because of image mismatch

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  AP-367 AP register fail because of image mismatch

Posted Jan 14, 2020 06:17 PM

We recently replaced our wireless with Aruba in one of our locations. We have AP-515's and AP-367's. I installed all of our AP-515's and everything went really well. After we had all of those running, we patched in the AP-367's. They will not register with our Aruba Virtual Controller for this location. We did receive 2 alerts for the 2 AP-367's that state: AP register fail because of image mismatch.

I was able to get to the CLI of one of the AP-367 but it only connects for 10 seconds or so then I get kicked out. I was able to do show version and this was the output:

bc:9f:e4:c1:34:ca# show version
    Aruba Operating System Software.
    ArubaOS (MODEL: 367), Version 6.5.4.3
    (c) Copyright 2017 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Development LP.
    Compiled on 2017-10-19 at 18:44:44 PDT (build 61959) by p4build
    FIPS Mode :disabled

AP uptime is 7 minutes 36 seconds
    Reboot Time and Cause: AP rebooted Tue Jan 14 22:05:06 UTC 2020; System cmd at u ptime 0D 0H 7M 37S: Image Sync Failed
    bc:9f:e4:c1:34:ca#

I'm assuming the 367's need to be upgraded. Since these AP's are on 6.5.4.3 and when I go to our Aruba Virtual Controller and browse to Maintenance>About, that version states 8.4.0.0.

2020-01-14_16h14_14.png

How do I go about upgrading just those two AP's? 

I cannot stay connected long enough in the CLI to do the upgrade there and i've rebooted all AP's numerous times hoping it would eventually just upgrade itself :). 

We have installed Aruba in about 6 locations and haven't ran into this issue before. For what it's worth, I'm an Aruba newbie...HELP!

Thanks,

Luke

• 2.  RE: AP-367 AP register fail because of image mismatch
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 14, 2020 06:44 PM

EDIT:

Upgrade both to the version here:  https://support.arubanetworks.com/LifetimeWarrantySoftware/tabid/121/DMXModule/661/EntryId/37128/Default.aspx

Make sure you upgrade them separately (upgrade  AP-515s by themselves on the network).  Upgrade the 367 on a network by itself.  when that is done, see if they will work on the same layer 2 subnet...

• 3.  RE: AP-367 AP register fail because of image mismatch

Posted Jan 15, 2020 10:56 AM

Thank you for the quick response, i will attempt to update them today. Just to make sure i'm understanding this, i should update the AP-515's to that same version, 8.5.0.3, and then upgrade the AP-367's one at a time by sticking them on a different network?

Thank you again, i really appreciate it. This was what i thought i was giong to have to do but wanted to make sure.

Also, is there a way to tell what version the AP is on before plugging them in? It seems silly to have to plug them in and see what happens, then have to move them to a different network and upgrade them one at a time. Or maybe i'm missing something....

Luke

• 4.  RE: AP-367 AP register fail because of image mismatch

Posted Jan 15, 2020 11:00 AM

I just noticed that on the boxes it actually has the software version, which is awesome.

• 5.  RE: AP-367 AP register fail because of image mismatch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 15, 2020 11:06 AM

You can update the 515s all at the same time.  You can also update the 367s all at one time on a separate network, to be clear.  You would then move the 367s to the same network as the 515s and see if it discovers the 515 cluster.

I am not sure if there is a sticker that says what version of code the AP comes out of the factory with.

• 6.  RE: AP-367 AP register fail because of image mismatch

Posted Jan 15, 2020 12:08 PM

I was able to upgrade both AP-367's to your recommended software, but for whatever reason, i can no longer login to them via the default username and password of admin. i haven't changed that on these or the 515's. 

I'm also having troubles upgrading the 515's from 8.4.0.0_68230 to 8.5.0.3_72498. I downloaded the file and select the file and click upgrade now. It goes to waiting, then uploading and then this error (2nd picture below) comes up

2020-01-15_10h04_37.png

2020-01-15_10h02_48.png

For what it's worth, I currently have the AP-367's port switch shutdown so they are not powered on. I thought maybe that's what the cluster was seeing when trying to upgrade to get this error.

• 7.  RE: AP-367 AP register fail because of image mismatch
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 15, 2020 12:28 PM

UPDATE: I got them all updated. I had to use the old UI to get the 515's to update. Powered on the 367's and they've joined now. 

Thanks again for you help!

• 8.  RE: AP-367 AP register fail because of image mismatch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 15, 2020 12:33 PM

@beckman3 wrote:

I was able to upgrade both AP-367's to your recommended software, but for whatever reason, i can no longer login to them via the default username and password of admin. i haven't changed that on these or the 515's. 

AOS 8.5 changed the default admin password so that it now requires the serial number of any IAP that's joined to the cluster. Once the admin password is set on the cluster, that takes effect. When a cluster configuration is reset back to default, the default admin password behavior is back in force.

• 9.  RE: AP-367 AP register fail because of image mismatch

Posted Jan 15, 2020 02:52 AM

Hi Beckman,

Add new AP to Aruba Instant Cluster New AP should be the same version of Aruba Instant Cluster. otherwise new AP couldn't add to Existing Cluster. Follow the cjoseph's