Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-70 not communicating with controller anymore.

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AP-70 not communicating with controller anymore.

Posted Oct 09, 2013 05:24 PM

What do I need to do to get my AP to talk with the controller again. It is pulling an IP address from DHCP but keeps rebooting. I ran a wireshark capture and it appears that it is talking to the controller but the controller isn't responding.

• 2.  RE: AP-70 not communicating with controller anymore.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2013 05:53 PM

@duboism wrote:

What do I need to do to get my AP to talk with the controller again. It is pulling an IP address from DHCP but keeps rebooting. I ran a wireshark capture and it appears that it is talking to the controller but the controller isn't responding.

On the controller's commandline, type "show log system 50" to see if that access point is doing anything.  What version of ArubaOS is this?

• 3.  RE: AP-70 not communicating with controller anymore.

Posted Oct 09, 2013 06:01 PM

It is running version 3.4.4.0-FIPS.

• 4.  RE: AP-70 not communicating with controller anymore.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2013 06:02 PM

@duboism wrote:

It is running version 3.4.4.0-FIPS.

We need much more information.  What events happened leading up to your issue?

• 5.  RE: AP-70 not communicating with controller anymore.

Posted Oct 09, 2013 06:15 PM

We lost power to our cisco switch that provides power to the AP and when power was restored it wouldn't communicat anymore. We have two othe AP's that are fine. I tried connecting a separate AP 70 and getting the same results. Here is the output of the command you suggested:

Oct 9 16:29:42 :311002:  <WARN> |AP B888.R2060.AP01@sapd|  Rebooting: sapd_old_msg_send: Unable to contact switch Oct 9 16:29:43 :303086:  <ERRS> |AP B888.R2060.AP01@nanny| Process Manager (nanny) shutting down - AP will reboot! Oct 9 16:30:51 :303022:  <WARN> |AP B888.R2060.AP01@nanny|  Reboot Reason: AP rebooted Fri Dec 31 16:05:10 PST 1999: sapd_old_msg_send: Unable to contact switch

• 6.  RE: AP-70 not communicating with controller anymore.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2013 06:28 PM

Does it keep saying that over and over again, or does it only say it a couple times?

It looks like it can find the controller and it can send syslog to it, but it cannot send papi (UDP 8211 or GRE protocol 47), which is needed to bring up wireless Virtual APs.  If it is only a couple of times, it is an artifact of being down when the switch was down.  if it is repeated, check to see if you have a firewall blocking UDP 8211 and GRE protocol 47.

• 7.  RE: AP-70 not communicating with controller anymore.

Posted Oct 09, 2013 06:33 PM

It is happening repeatedly. Is the firewall specific to certain AP's because two of my AP's are fine?

• 8.  RE: AP-70 not communicating with controller anymore.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2013 06:34 PM

It is not specific to APs.  If there is nothing blocking the traffic, try plugging that AP70 into another switch.

• 9.  RE: AP-70 not communicating with controller anymore.

Posted Oct 09, 2013 06:36 PM

I did try an AP in the same switch with an AP that is working and getting those same results. I was thinking it was a licensing thing but I have 4 licenses with only 3 AP's connected to my network.

• 10.  RE: AP-70 not communicating with controller anymore.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2013 06:37 PM
    Okay, now try the reverse.

• 11.  RE: AP-70 not communicating with controller anymore.

Posted Oct 09, 2013 06:39 PM

What do you mean?

• 12.  RE: AP-70 not communicating with controller anymore.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2013 06:41 PM

Try the access point in a different switch; maybe a switch that is working.  It is not conclusive what the problem is.

• 13.  RE: AP-70 not communicating with controller anymore.

Posted Oct 09, 2013 06:48 PM

I already did that and the AP just keeps rebooting.

Is there a way to remove the AP's, that aren't communicating, out of the controller? The bad ones as well as the good ones show up in the GUI under Monitoring>Network>All Access Points. But when I go to Monitoring>Controller>Access Points I only see the two good ones.

• 14.  RE: AP-70 not communicating with controller anymore.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2013 06:51 PM
    All access points are all the access points that ever contacted the controller.

Monitoring> Controller> Access points only show the ones that are actually up.

You should be able to clear access points in the All access points view or use "clear gap-db" command on the commandline.

• 15.  RE: AP-70 not communicating with controller anymore.

Posted Oct 09, 2013 06:54 PM

I didn't know if that was preventing it from updating information in the AP since it lost power.

• 16.  RE: AP-70 not communicating with controller anymore.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 09, 2013 07:09 PM

it should not.

Check "show log errors all" to see if there is anything in there.  Also check "show ap database" to see if there are any flags next to access points.  There would be an IL if there was a licensing issue.