Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

AP Client List and Signal Strength

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AP Client List and Signal Strength

Posted Sep 23, 2016 02:26 PM

Just noticed something interesting yesterday.  I had a single client connected to an IAP-215 with the IAP connected directly to a PC via ethernet (test environment).

I noticed when running "show clients" via the CLI that the client appeared as expected, but the signal strength and speed where both listed as "0 (poor)".

However, I could still ping and communicate with the client from the test PC without any issues.  The RSSI of the AP as read by the detector was also very strong and showed that it was connected.

After about 25 seconds the signal went up to "52 (good)" which is what is expected in the lab environment. 

The client had been in a powered-down state and just powered up.  I had a script checking the client signal strength every 3 or 4 seconds.

I've seen this happen once before, so twice now in several weeks.  It's a pretty rare occurence in the lab, but have seen it multiple times now.

About how long does it take the client list to update in the CLI?  What might be causing the delay in updating the signal strength/speed fields for a client?

• 2.  RE: AP Client List and Signal Strength

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 23, 2016 04:49 PM

The IAP does not read/change the signal strength of an associated client more than once every 60 seconds.  Initially it might have the association, but it might not have the signal strength until after 60 seconds.

• 3.  RE: AP Client List and Signal Strength

Posted Sep 28, 2016 09:04 AM

Have also seen issues where the IP address is 0.0.0.0 even after I capture the handshake sequence with a packet capture tool.

Really just looking for status on if the client is actively connected to the AP at the time of the query.

Would any of the other commands show more up-to-date information? 

show clients <diff>? 

show clients debug?

show clients status <mac>?

If not, are there any nobs to tweak in the AP settings to update the client information faster?  60 seconds seems like a lot of time to update signal strength/connectivity/IP address.

• 4.  RE: AP Client List and Signal Strength

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 01, 2016 09:13 AM

I don't believe the driver in the AP  delivers client statistics any faster than that...