Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Adding additional IAPs to a cluster

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Adding additional IAPs to a cluster

Posted May 06, 2019 03:53 PM

I have a cluster in a remote location and we are deploying new IAPs to join the cluster, I know it's required having them on the same code so they probably won't join but how do I remotely upgrade them if they are already on the same network as the current cluster?

Will i need to temporarily put the new APs on a different network to upgrade then back to the same network of the exisiting cluster?

What would happen if same code and different config VC came online in the same network as another exisiting VC with config?

• 2.  RE: Adding additional IAPs to a cluster

Posted May 06, 2019 04:19 PM
    If you are using airwave or Central you can update the cluster from here. If not, you can specify a http server where the two firmware files are hosted.

If a IAP boots up it will detect if there is already a VC. If yes, it will join the cluster, unless the AP is set to standalone.

• 3.  RE: Adding additional IAPs to a cluster

Posted May 06, 2019 04:35 PM

So a cluster will still have additiaonl IAPs join even if lower or higher code on them? I could have sworn I read being on the same firmware was a requirment to join.

Not an issue of upgrading if thats thats no the case!

• 4.  RE: Adding additional IAPs to a cluster

Posted May 06, 2019 04:42 PM
    You need to run the same version.

• 5.  RE: Adding additional IAPs to a cluster

Posted May 06, 2019 04:55 PM

So then I guess I'm not being very clear or understanding.

Existing IAP cluster with 13 APs running 6.4, provisioning 15 more APs to join up to it but they are running 6.2 code how would I get them to join if they aren't running the same code? APs are already on the same L2 network. You say point them to airwave, activate, or an external http site but how would you do that if you have no access to a GUI for those guys? Console is out of the question as these are hanging from ceilings

• 6.  RE: Adding additional IAPs to a cluster

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2019 07:51 PM

You might have to attempt to find out the ip addresses of the orphaned Instant aps, web into them and upgrade/downgrade them to the correct Instant Code.

Are the new Instant Aps the same model as the existing ones?

• 7.  RE: Adding additional IAPs to a cluster

Posted May 06, 2019 08:03 PM
    Yes all APs are the same version, does that make a difference? And your saying I have to login to each additional AP to upgrade?!? If so that would be crap and much easier to just put em in their own network to form a cluster and upgrade.

• 8.  RE: Adding additional IAPs to a cluster

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2019 08:30 PM

The "put them in their own cluster and upgrade" sidesteps alot of issues  Is it possible that they are trying to upgrade and your firewall is blocking traffic?  https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-less-WLANs/Troubleshooting-image-upgrade-failure-in-Instant-AP-managed-by/ta-p/267021

• 9.  RE: Adding additional IAPs to a cluster

Posted May 06, 2019 08:39 PM
    Firewall is not an issue. Im trying to find out the proper steps for adding additional APs to an existing cluster if they are running different code.

• 10.  RE: Adding additional IAPs to a cluster

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2019 08:49 PM

You should just be able to add them to the same layer 2 subnet, unless something is going wrong.  Please look at the troubleshooting steps at the link above to see if there is something else amiss.