Controllerless Networks

Highlighted
New Contributor

Additional Access points for Aruba IAP-103 Controllerless system

Hi All,

We have 20 Aruba IAP-103 Access points with one setup as a virtual controller, these were installed by my predecessor.

I am looking at adding some more IAP-103 access points so I would like to find out if I require additional licences for these and is there a theoretical limit to the number of APs that can be added. I am hoping I can just purchase 5 additional access points and add them but I thought I would check first. I gather the firmware of the new APs has to match the current version of the existing APs but if there is anything I have missed I would be grateful for your advice.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super Contributor II

Re: Additional Access points for Aruba IAP-103 Controllerless system

No additional licenses needed with IAPs. The maximum tested according to Aruba is 128 in a cluster. You should be good i would think. Once the new APs join the cluster (automatically by default if on the same VLAN) they will match versions with the VC (Virtual Controller) This guy gets elected, or you have a preferred AP set to act at VC).

And just an FYI, you can have mixed models of APs in the same cluster as long as they are both able to run the same version of code. You can check code versions per model on the Aruba Support Portal.

Dustin Burns
Senior Mobility and Access Engineer @WEI
ACMX #509 | ACCX #1272 | ACSA | ACDA | ACEA | CCNP | CCDP | CCNA Wireless

If my post address your queries, give kudos and accept as solution!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor II

No additional licenses needed with IAPs. The maximum tested according to Aruba is 128 in a cluster. You should be good i would think. Once the new APs join the cluster (automatically by default if on the same VLAN) they will match versions with the VC (Virtual Controller) This guy gets elected, or you have a preferred AP set to act at VC).

And just an FYI, you can have mixed models of APs in the same cluster as long as they are both able to run the same version of code. You can check code versions per model on the Aruba Support Portal.

Dustin Burns
Senior Mobility and Access Engineer @WEI
ACMX #509 | ACCX #1272 | ACSA | ACDA | ACEA | CCNP | CCDP | CCNA Wireless

If my post address your queries, give kudos and accept as solution!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi Dustin

Thanks for your prompt reply, that's great.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: