Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Advertise AP Name on Instant AP (103)

This thread has been viewed 37 times
  • 1.  Advertise AP Name on Instant AP (103)

Posted Aug 21, 2015 09:25 AM

Hi folks,

is it possible to set the option "advertise ap name" on an instant AP? I know that there is an option on AOS but I can't find it in an IAP (WebIF nor CLI). -> Sorry in advance if I haven't seen the command or option! :)

Can anyone give me a hint if this is possible or not?

Background: I just opened a case at Ekahau (ESS) because the auto radio combinement isn't working for me. The told me that the logic is based on the AP name.

thanks for your answers

• 2.  RE: Advertise AP Name on Instant AP (103)
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2015 09:28 AM
    No, this is currently only possible in controller-based environments.

• 3.  RE: Advertise AP Name on Instant AP (103)

Posted Aug 21, 2015 09:30 AM

thanks for the quick answer Tim! ;)

I will reply this to the ESS support as well, so they may adjust ther logic a little bit! 

• 4.  RE: Advertise AP Name on Instant AP (103)

Posted Feb 07, 2017 02:06 PM

Is this still the case?

• 5.  RE: Advertise AP Name on Instant AP (103)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 07, 2017 03:03 PM

This is still the case.  If you have Airwave, you can use the Aruba Utilities Android App to tie into Airwave and see the names of APs on an Android Device.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arubanetworks.arubautilities

Advertising AP name only works with a handful of high-priced survey tools.  Android utilities works with inexpensive Android Devices...

• 6.  RE: Advertise AP Name on Instant AP (103)

Posted Feb 07, 2017 03:12 PM

Thanks for the answer. It's really too bad. I use Ekahau and without the name advertising, 2.4 and 5 GHz radios are shown as seperate APs.

I then have to go combine each of the radios manually...time consuming.

• 7.  RE: Advertise AP Name on Instant AP (103)

Posted Jul 21, 2017 02:33 AM

Here is another one missing this feature! I'm using a Netscout AirCheck G2 that claims it has support for Aruba AP-names, but wondered why I wasn't seeing them in my Instant networks and stumbled upon this post.

Also testing The Bald One's excellent "WiFi Ping" tool [*] and was going to suggest as an improvment to auto-detect AP-Names from the Aruba Vendor Tag, but again, it's not going to help me as I mainly work with Instant networks.

So, I'm really hoping to see this feature in future releases, as it would be really useful when throubleshooting roaming issues.

[*] https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Water-Cooler/WiFi-Ping-Wireless-Testing-and-Diagnostics-tool/td-p/283491

• 8.  RE: Advertise AP Name on Instant AP (103)

Posted May 13, 2019 05:48 AM

Hello,

Any progress to report regarding advertising AP-names in Instant environment? We are also using the Netscout AirCheck G2. More and more customers are getting this excellent device.

Thanks,

Bart

• 9.  RE: Advertise AP Name on Instant AP (103)

MVP GURU
    Posted May 14, 2019 03:50 PM

with last firmware (8.3 or 8.4), there is a cli command for enable advertise AP name...

• 10.  RE: Advertise AP Name on Instant AP (103)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 14, 2019 03:54 PM

Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 15.53.17.png

• 11.  RE: Advertise AP Name on Instant AP (103)

Posted Oct 18, 2023 04:02 AM

Did anybody figure out how to set this in AirWave? We are on Instant 8.10 and AirWave 8.2.15.1, but the option is nowhere to be found in AirWave.

Obviously we can't set it in Instant CLI once the APs are managed by AirWave.

• 12.  RE: Advertise AP Name on Instant AP (103)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted yesterday
    In a controller environment, if I enable "Advertise AP Name" what impact will there be on APs? Is it transparent or could the APs be rebooted?

Thank you

------------------------------
    CB3
    ------------------------------

• 13.  RE: Advertise AP Name on Instant AP (103)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted yesterday

No impact. APs don´t have to reboot. It is a field which will be filled with AP Name information in some Management Frames