Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Android 4.4.2 clients roaming too quickly

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Android 4.4.2 clients roaming too quickly

Posted Sep 15, 2014 09:18 AM

We have a network of 9 IAP 105 access points in virtual controller mode on version 6.3.1.4-4.0.0.6.   It's recently come to my attention that some of our clients on recent Android versions are roaming too quickly - to the point of constantly switching between the two nearest APs every few seconds.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 on 4.3, and a Samsung Galaxy S5 on 4.42 sitting side by side on my desk and not moving.  The 4.3 device will associate and stay connected to the nearest access point successfully.  The 4.4.2 device has switched between the two nearest access points 5 times in the past two minutes despite one of them having a significantly stronger signal.

We've tried reducing transmit power to reduce overlaps, enabling client match, and a few other settings on the access points, but all information points towards the device being at fault in this scenario.  

Has anyone experienced something similar with newer Android devices?  Any ideas I can test, or solutions?  Thanks,

• 2.  RE: Android 4.4.2 clients roaming too quickly

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 15, 2014 03:51 PM

have you tried disabling the low data rates in the ssid? Also, how close are these two access points?

• 3.  RE: Android 4.4.2 clients roaming too quickly

Posted Sep 16, 2014 08:17 AM

I've tried setting the minimum transmit rates for 2.4 and 5ghz to 5 and 6 respectively and didn't see any difference.  

The two access points I'm testing with primarily are approximately 100 feet apart. 

This same problem seems to be affecting other clients in a location where two other access points are visible as well, so it's not limited to this pair.  

EDIT: I should also mention that the problem is affecting the Galaxy S3 phone as well.  Initially it seemed unaffected but after watching it a bit further it displayed the same symptoms. 

• 4.  RE: Android 4.4.2 clients roaming too quickly

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 16, 2014 08:24 AM

Can you take a look at the ClientMatch history for that client?

show ap arm client-match history client-mac <client-mac>

• 5.  RE: Android 4.4.2 clients roaming too quickly

Posted Sep 16, 2014 08:36 AM

That log is full of this:

10:a5:d0:ec:dd:38  Normal     Normal     Client left                   0      19h:39m:45s  
    10:a5:d0:ec:dd:38  Normal     Normal     Client left                   1      19h:39m:45s  
    10:a5:d0:ec:dd:38  Normal     Normal     Client associated             0      19h:39m:40s  
    10:a5:d0:ec:dd:38  Normal     Normal     Client left                   0      19h:39m:35s  
    10:a5:d0:ec:dd:38  Normal     Normal     Client left                   1      19h:39m:35s 

Another larger sample is here:  http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=4TPWxVBC  (filter didn't work on export, but you can see the basic pattern)