Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Androids Won't Connect to Nearest AP

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Androids Won't Connect to Nearest AP

Posted Oct 22, 2013 02:40 PM

I have a campus Instant network of 21 IAP-105s version 6.2.1.0-3.4.0.1_39461.

I am struggling with wifi connectivity issues with Android phones
    in at least one area of my campus.

It is a 200 ft by 270 ft high ceiling industrial building
    where there are 5 IAP-105's about 100 ft apart from each other.

Clients are sparse, 10-15 in the building, typically less than 5 on any AP at any time.

There are three android phones that remain stationary directly below one IAP-105.

However they hop between that AP and the two nearest neighbors (each 100 ft away). Most times
    they are either changing APs every minute or stuck to a weak signal on a neigboring AP.

They can't seem to stay connected to the nearest AP.

Any suggestions?

• 2.  RE: Androids Won't Connect to Nearest AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2013 02:45 PM

How high are the access points mounted off the ground?

• 3.  RE: Androids Won't Connect to Nearest AP

Posted Oct 22, 2013 02:56 PM

About 22 ft.

• 4.  RE: Androids Won't Connect to Nearest AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2013 02:59 PM

What kind of environment is it?  Warehouse, regular office?  

100 feet is typically too far apart for smooth roaming, because Android devices can only broadcast so far.  In addition they will hang onto access points longer because they cannot hear the next access point as well as the closest, so they will hang on.

You could try using use "the local-probe-response-threshold" parameter in the SSID profile under Advanced to try to influence how those androids roam if you cannot move the access points closer together.

• 5.  RE: Androids Won't Connect to Nearest AP

Posted Oct 22, 2013 03:19 PM

It is a warehouse like building.

The androids are employee devices and the first to report difficulties.  They connect to our guest network.  They

really do not roam.  They stay in the same area.

Company PCs, COWs, and iphones connect to the corporate Instant  networks without difficulty.

What setting would you recommend to try on the the local-probe-response-threshold" parameter in the SSID profile?

If that isn't helpful how far away from it should I add an AP?

• 6.  RE: Androids Won't Connect to Nearest AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2013 03:25 PM

@harveystephenb wrote:

It is a warehouse like building.

The androids are employee devices and the first to report difficulties.  They connect to our guest network.  They

really do not roam.  They stay in the same area.

Company PCs, COWs, and iphones connect to the corporate Instant  networks without difficulty.

What setting would you recommend to try on the the local-probe-response-threshold" parameter in the SSID profile?

If that isn't helpful how far away from it should I add an AP?

Thank you.  What kind of android clients are these, phones or tablets?

That parameter and anything you change will require some testing, due to the cost of changing anything in a warehouse.

The AP105 has downtilt antennas which means that you can have good signal when the access point is mounted high up, but less horizontally.  You can download the Aruba Utilities and put it on your android device to see how well the android device sees the access points in your warehouse:  That should be your first mission to understand how those devices see your access points:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arubanetworks.arubautilities  As you roam it will also map handover events to see how your Androids are roaming and at what thresholds.  That will give you a clue how strong (or weak) the signal needs to be before it roams...

• 7.  RE: Androids Won't Connect to Nearest AP

Posted Oct 22, 2013 03:45 PM

They are phones.  On the AP mounting do you mean they need to be tilted at an angle from true horizontal?  These are attached to the bottoms of ceiling beams or cable trays laying flat and pointing straight down.

I don't mind testing here on my guest network or in this part of my campus where wireless clients are sparse.  I have several spare APs and anticipated I might need to add one or more for capacity or some other issue at some point.

Thanks for the link.   I will ask for an Android owner to volunteer to download it.

• 8.  RE: Androids Won't Connect to Nearest AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2013 03:55 PM

@harveystephenb wrote:

They are phones.  On the AP mounting do you mean they need to be tilted at an angle from true horizontal?  These are attached to the bottoms of ceiling beams or cable trays laying flat and pointing straight down.

I don't mind testing here on my guest network or in this part of my campus where wireless clients are sparse.  I have several spare APs and anticipated I might need to add one or more for capacity or some other issue at some point.

Thanks for the link.   I will ask for an Android owner to volunteer to download it.

The built-in antenna pattern is downtilt omnidirectional.  You cannot change that...it is the way they are designed.  You do not have to reposition them if they are pointing straight down.

Use the tool to see how weak/strong the next access point is.  You will also be able to see how adding another access point affects the coverage through the app.