Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Antenna configurations IAP-175

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Antenna configurations IAP-175

Posted Jun 13, 2013 01:45 AM

Hello all,

I have a question - for client coverage on the 2.4ghz band can you use two different types of antennas for the two different radio connections of an IAP-175 for coverage? For example, could I use a directional antenna on R1 and an Omni antenna on R1-1 (vertical pol on both)? 

John

• 2.  RE: Antenna configurations IAP-175

Posted Jun 13, 2013 02:16 AM

absolutely not.

antenna model, pattern, and both horizontal and vertical angle must all match exactly.

• 3.  RE: Antenna configurations IAP-175

Posted Jun 13, 2013 01:25 PM

Thanks - Is there any specific difference between R1-0 and R1-1 at all? I mean, is one designed for H-pol and the other V-pol?

John

• 4.  RE: Antenna configurations IAP-175

Posted Jun 13, 2013 02:51 PM

No requirement for H or V to go to one or the other.

Spatial stream recovery is in the baseband upstream from the combiner so doesn't matter which gets which.

• 5.  RE: Antenna configurations IAP-175

Posted Jun 13, 2013 02:56 PM

Thank you very much, your answers are very helpful!

Okay, final question - Can you use two v-pol (identical) antennas for coverage? I.e. could you have two identical 90 degree V-pol sectors attached to R1 and R1-1?

• 6.  RE: Antenna configurations IAP-175
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 13, 2013 02:58 PM

you can do it but then you will not get 2SS data rates, so your max goodput will be cut in half.

• 7.  RE: Antenna configurations IAP-175

Posted Jun 13, 2013 06:56 PM

What about using just one antenna on R1 and not hooking anything to the second port? I have heard horror stories that you can burn out the radio if you don't have something attached.

• 8.  RE: Antenna configurations IAP-175
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 13, 2013 07:24 PM

NO NO NO NO NO.

Absolutely not.

Has nothing to do with burning anything out.

First, you will not get 2SS rates because you only have 1 antenna connected, so you're wasting half your potential performance.

Second, because MIMO radios are TX from both chains and splitting half the power on each, doing that reduces your SNR by 3dB, your cell radius by 33%, and the total area of your cell by 50%.

Third, you also eliminate the 2nd RX chain for MRC which will make it difficult to maintain a given rate at a given range.

It's called "Multiple In Multiple Out" for a reason.  

There is no cost penalty for connecting both antennas because we sell only MIMO antennas that include two elements for the same price as we used to sell single element SISO antennas.  Even our omni kits have two antennas in them. 

• 9.  RE: Antenna configurations IAP-175

Posted Jun 13, 2013 07:34 PM

Thank you. I really apologize I am trying to understand things and clearly I got in over my head before I knew what I was doing. I appreciate the responses, and I hope you don't think of me too much as an idiot for simply not understanding all that well. I was working with an outdoor engineer from Aruba who was helping me design this thing, and he just disappeared on me and I ended up with a bunch of hardware that didn't work right, and absolutely no meaningful support so I set out to figure it out on my own and clearly things haven't gone according to plan.