Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Anybody know if it's possible to fix a station's MAC address to a specific AP?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Anybody know if it's possible to fix a station's MAC address to a specific AP?

Posted Sep 12, 2014 10:04 AM

Hello,

We have a customer with some remote terminals using some age old application that requires constant connectivity, and on said terminals the application crashes when connection is lost. The terminals have proved fine on the wired network, as well as in an area where they can only associate with a single AP.

The terminals with the issue seem to be where they have multiple APs, and from this I'm thinking ClientMatch maybe bouncing them around 2+ APs.

So my question is - Is it possible to fix a station's MAC address to a specific AP? So ClientMatch will have no control a specific STA? 

Next week I'll be disabling ClientMatch to prove whether or not this issue, along with Spectrum Analysis, but until then I thought one of you guys may have some thoughts on this?

IAP Cluster - 6.3 

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Anybody know if it's possible to fix a station's MAC address to a specific AP?

Posted Sep 15, 2014 09:39 AM

even without client match a device can choose to switch AP, i don't believe there is a way to link a device with a specific AP, except to use a unique SSID between the pair.

some clients can be configured to select only one AP, but from the AP side this isn't really something you do.

• 3.  RE: Anybody know if it's possible to fix a station's MAC address to a specific AP?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 15, 2014 09:42 AM

The only thing I can think of is to create a hidden SSID only on that AP.

• 4.  RE: Anybody know if it's possible to fix a station's MAC address to a specific AP?

Posted Sep 15, 2014 09:53 AM

Thanks both.

So, I guess at this point the only other way to prove this would be to split a single AP from the IAP cluster and have that advertise a single SSID, as a single IAP cluster advertises all SSID and cannot be split down in to AP Groups.

• 5.  RE: Anybody know if it's possible to fix a station's MAC address to a specific AP?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 15, 2014 09:54 AM
    You can use the new "Zone" feature in Instant 4.1 (similar to AP-groups on the controllers)

• 6.  RE: Anybody know if it's possible to fix a station's MAC address to a specific AP?

Posted Sep 15, 2014 10:02 AM

Perfect! Thanks for that..