Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

AppRF - not blocking bittorrent

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AppRF - not blocking bittorrent

Posted Aug 03, 2014 10:20 PM

Hi All,

hs anybody had any luck blocking bittorent with AppRF?

I'm trying it on my IAP-225 running 6.4.0.3-4.1.0.1_45063 and the bittorrent sessions are passing as normal. I seem to be able to block web based apps such as facebook ok.

It seems that IAP is classifying Bittorrent as UDP / Network Service and allowing it.

shot1.jpgshot2.jpgshot3.jpg

• 2.  RE: AppRF - not blocking bittorrent

Posted Aug 04, 2014 12:58 AM

Grab the output of "show datapath session dpi" to see how it is being categorized.   For example:

bittorrent.jpg

• 3.  RE: AppRF - not blocking bittorrent

Posted Aug 04, 2014 07:41 PM

Seems to be catching some of it but there is no deny flag. This was using qBittorent and it seemed to block the traffic.

snap5.jpg

I tried uTorrent and it was able to connect to trackers and peers no problem and started downloading straight away.

I filtered the dpi output on a couple of the connected peers and this is what came up:

snap6.jpg

• 4.  RE: AppRF - not blocking bittorrent

Posted Aug 04, 2014 09:58 PM

Instant DPI can detect about 1,800 applications  You can see the list with the cli command "show dpi app all". uTorrent is not on the list.

Try "Web-Category" and "peer-to-peer networking".  This uses webroot / BrightCloud to categorize sites.  I just tried it and it blocked uTorrent.

2014-08-04_18-56-42.jpg

• 5.  RE: AppRF - not blocking bittorrent

Posted Aug 04, 2014 10:29 PM

Interesting.

It seems like uTorrent uses it's own protocol (instead of Bittorrent).. learned something today!

http://www.bittorrent.org/beps/bep_0029.html

Time for a feature enhancement request!

Scott

• 6.  RE: AppRF - not blocking bittorrent

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 04, 2014 10:32 PM
    Also keep in mind that users can change ports and transport methods with Bittorrent as well as tunnel them through a VPN. They are very hard to block.

• 7.  RE: AppRF - not blocking bittorrent

Posted Aug 04, 2014 10:50 PM

this is true, however i would expect that you should be able to block basic torrent access using a very popular client out of the box. my client has no special configuraiton.

Depending on how the DPI is implemented it shouldn't matter what port is used but i'm not sure if IAP uses tru DPI or just port mapping.

• 8.  RE: AppRF - not blocking bittorrent

Posted Aug 05, 2014 09:32 PM

looks like a signature update is needed. i have opened a TAC case and will see how that pans out.

• 9.  RE: AppRF - not blocking bittorrent
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 03, 2014 11:53 PM

Hi All,

TAC have identified a defect and this will be fixed in 4.2.x.x code.

Scott