Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba AP-135 - how to configure

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Aruba AP-135 - how to configure

Posted Nov 23, 2016 09:29 AM

Hello,

I just received 2 Aruba AP-135 used devices. I want to use those for home use, to have wifi on my 2 floors. I wanted to put one AP on every floor.

I received the APs yesterday and connected both to the network after restoring them to factory settings. Power led and ENET0 began to blink and didn't stop.

It seems that I can't connect directly to the AP to make the necesary settings.

After reseaching, it seems that there are 2 types of Aruba AP-135: one instant, that can be configured directly by web interface, and another type that can be configured using a controller.

In this case what can I do? Is there any chance to be able to setup the 2 APs for inhouse using? I do not want to buy a controller. Is there a software controller that I could use to make the setup?

I can't find any informations about this topic.

Thank you!

• 2.  RE: Aruba AP-135 - how to configure

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 23, 2016 09:30 AM

AP-135s can only be used with a controller.  It cannot be used as a standalone AP.

• 3.  RE: Aruba AP-135 - how to configure

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 23, 2016 09:31 AM
    You would need to acquire a controller or switch them out for IAPs.

• 4.  RE: Aruba AP-135 - how to configure

Posted Nov 23, 2016 09:36 AM

Hmm, that sux.

And which is the cheapest controller on the market? If I setup the APs using a controller, can I remove the controller from the network? Or I have to have it constantly in the network?

Thank you!

• 5.  RE: Aruba AP-135 - how to configure

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 23, 2016 09:37 AM

The controller needs to be there constantly for an AP-135 to work.

• 6.  RE: Aruba AP-135 - how to configure

Posted Nov 23, 2016 11:32 AM

Ok. Could you, pleasw, recommend me the cheapest controller? Maybe I will find a second hand one, so that I will be able to use the APs.

Thank you!

• 7.  RE: Aruba AP-135 - how to configure

Posted Nov 23, 2016 03:32 PM

I found on ebay 2 low-cost Aruba controllers. First is this one: Aruba Networks 800 LAN Wireless Mobility Controller 8-Ports Model: 800-US.

Second is this one: Aruba Networks 2400 Mobility Controller

Could you, please, tell me if it's ok for what I need?

The initial setup of the controller and the APs has to be made by someone with experience in the networking area? Or I will be able to do it myself? How complicated it is? I am a programmer, but have no experience in networking.

Thank you!

• 8.  RE: Aruba AP-135 - how to configure

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 23, 2016 04:28 PM

Those are very old and won't run anything past AOS 5.0 (we are now starting 8.0). I would avoid as there's little to nothing to setup that would be relevant in the modern OS/cofnig pages now.

• 9.  RE: Aruba AP-135 - how to configure

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 25, 2016 04:12 PM
    A 620 or 650 Will do

• 10.  RE: Aruba AP-135 - how to configure

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 25, 2016 04:13 PM
    But you are limited to 6.4.x versions. They provide PoE as well