Controllerless Networks

New Contributor

Re: Aruba Instant: Client disconnects

Hi Paul,

Thanks for sharing your workaround!

My customer is using the same devices (Honeywell Thor VM1).

We noticed a lot of disconnects we could not explain with the AP-305. Some troubleshooting steps we took were also using low transmit rates and B rates also but always in combination with higher rates.

We have replaced all the AP-305s for AP-105s for now and are still looking for a decent solution. Currently im setting up a lab to run some tests with the AP-207. It appears to be a AP-305 thingie since the customer did not report any issues since we replaced these. Also in our lab we did not get any disconnects with the AP-105 while getting multiple disconnects every hour with the AP-305.

We have tried multiple different settings like 'legacy chain mode' and also received best practise guidelines from Honeywell to collaborate with Aruba wireless. Unfortunalely this did not show any improvement.

I knew we wouldn't be the only one facing these issues. Thanks again for the workaround, I will definitly give it a try!

Kind regards, Patrick

Contributor I

Yes we felt the exact same way, "surely we can not be the only people having this issue??"

You should definitely give the 802.11b & rates combination a try, as I said, we are now not getting any complaints from the Forklift users. Although, it's kind of annoying that we have implemented this all singing and dancing wireless solution with brand new manufactured Honeywell Thor units and end up limiting the 2.4GHz band in our warehouse to 802.11b rates, but what can you do!

Just curious, have you encountered any other issues with other Warehouse type clients dropping out (Motorola, Symbol etc.)? 

Paul

New Contributor

The customer is only using Honeywell Thor VM1 clients at this location.

They do have another warehouse but without any issues. Probarly because this location was using AP-105s since the beginning.

The issues only started since they moved from Cisco wireless to Aruba AP-305's.

I will ask the customer nex time I talk to him, which will be within one week.

Patrick

Contributor I

Hi Patrick

Can I just ask, is your customer who is having issues with the 305 APs  using a controller or are they using Aruba Instant versions of the 305s?

Thanks

Paul

New Contributor

Hi Paul,

The customer is using AP-305's with a controller. I have upgraded and downgraded to controller to see if it a version issue but unfortunately not. AOS 6 and AOS 8 is demonstrating the same issues.

Are you using Instant AP-305's?

To answer your previous question; the customer has also motorola devices (Motorola MC9090 en MC92n) at a different warehouse. The customer is not experiencing any issues with these devices. Access points used at this location are all AP105's (with controller aswell).

Kind regards, Patrick

Contributor I

Yes we are using Instant. Like yourself, we have tried multiple firmware versions to no avail.

We are also having issues with Motorola WT4090 & WT41N0 units (users getting completely disconnected). Plus Telnet sessions on Motorola Barcode scanners seem to 'run slow' alot of the time  (MC9090, MC9190 & MC920).

We have roughly 125 IAPs (all either 304 or 305s) across 3 Warehouses so we don't really have an option to try any previous versions of IAP. It's getting very frustrating to say the least.

Guru Elite

*Answers and views expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily the position of Aruba Networks or Hewlett Packard Enterprise.*
ArubaOS 8.3 User Guide
InstantOS 8.3 User Guide
Airheads Knowledgebase
Airheads Learning Videos
New Contributor

Hi - I was wondering how this is going?

We have clients using VoicePick (VoCollect) and WinCE devices using IAP305 infrastructure and are running ok.  Definately disable Client Match, band steering, 802.11r.

I didn't like the surprise that UNII-3 wasn't available on these AP's and I have been told the the RW model has been based off Europe's regulations even though UNII-3 is available here in Australia. 

Wireless frame captures are the best way to see what is going on 'in the air' - do you have access to capture software that will capture mulitple channels/USB adapters at once?

On the client side try Dr Debug's Netlog feature available on Motorola/Zebra newer OEM firmware.  It gives you a pretty good debug from the client's perspective. 

I'd be happy to analyse any frame captures if you can obtain them.

Good luck.

Contributor I

Hi Paul, I really appreciate your post. We are using a mixture of IAP304 & IAP305, the IAP304 are using external directional/patch antennas (AP ANT 38) we have our doubts about the quality of these external antennas though.

Regarding UNII-3 channels, apparently it became legal to use these channels in the UK in Aug 2017 - see:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/5Ghz-UNII-3-band-C-in-UK/td-p/313497

I'm not sure about Australia though. We have not really focused on this too much, I'm not entirely sure but think it would be unlikely that our devices would support these channels (without some sort of firmware upgrade anyway).

We have found that we had high latency and some roaming issues when we let devices use DFS channels - this was due to the fact that client devices can only passively scan DFS channels. Therefore, in two out of our three Warehouses, we are only broadcasting on channels 1, 6 & 11 on 2.4Ghz band & channels 36, 40, 44 & 48 on the 5GHz band. We have these IAPs locked down to static channels and power.

In the other warehouse we have let ARM take care of 5Ghz, while we have locked down 2.4.

We are dubious about how effective ARM is in a warehouse environment, although it seems to work quite well in our offices (separate cluster).

Is there a reason you suggested to turn off client match? Everytime we are on with TAC they insist on turning this on.

We are currently running firmware version 6.5.1.0-4.3.1.3_59179. TAC have asked us to upgrade to 6.5.4.4_62887 in order to fix an issue with a high number of 'Radio Resets' on 2.4GHz band. We have upgraded firmware on one of our Warehouse Clusters, which "seems" to have fixed the radio resets issues (although we haven't had any other issues in the other two Warehouse Clusters using the older firmware either).

We don't have access to any wireless capture software, we have priced it but the seem to be very expensive and would find it hard to justify purchasing it to use it once in each Warehouse. I'll hunt around again because I've really only looked at Ekahau and Netspot.

As for Dr Debug Netlog, our devices don't seem to have this feature. We are using a mixture of devices in each warehouse including VoCollect A720, Motorola WT4090 & WT41N0, Motorola barcode scanners (MC9090 & MC9190) and Honeywell Thor VM1 forklifts.  The WT4090 & MC9090 have actaully been discontinued so there are no new firmware releases for these.

New Contributor

Hi Paul - great name by the way. 

Yes UNII-3 is available now but for some reason the firmware for the RW model that we get in Australia disables UNII-3, even though it is allowed by our regulatory body.  And I tend to stay away from DFS channels due to the passive scanning, and Honeywell recommends not to use anyway.

Client-match simply from personal bench testing gave me horrible ping latency so that is the only reason I say this.  This bench test was not in a warehouse so take that comment with a grain of salt.

ANT 38 - Never used these before but I see they are quite a high-gain antenna - unless your aisles are very long (80-100m) I would make sure these antennas are pointing down towards the ground slightly - say 20degrees? Also counter-act the higher gain by lowering the AP power level.  You mentioned you have set to 15dBm -18dBm however I would consider dropping these to 10dBm-13dBm. BUT do the following test first to get an idea about your cell sizes.

TEST:

Grab a HHT (eg: MC9x90) using the summit utility and walk from the connected AP along a typical roam path and:

1 - Stop at the point where you would expect the client to roam eg: at the end of the ailse/next aisle - what is the RSSI the client is seeing?  How far off is it from the roam threshold summit global setting? 

2 - Carry on walking until the client actually does roam then stop.  What did the RSSI reach to before the device roamed?  Look at your location, should you be connected to a more appropriate AP?  Did you pass another AP before you roamed?

Your ideal coverage cell size should be so that the client reaches it's roam threshold RSSI, from step 2, but at the point you would expect it to roam from step1.  Change the power levels on the AP and test again until you find what the happy medium is.  Oh and if you have enabled the wifi signal icon on your devices, then ignore the operators that tell you that the signal levels are low.  These devices won't roam until the signal level is low so you actually want to encourage these levels to get low more often.

Another good test is to repeat the above steps, but try and stop just before the point that the client roams if you can.  Then compare the RSSI level on the AP side - ie: On the Instant VC see what RSSI the AP is 'hearing' the client at.  This should be fairly similar to what the client is 'hearing' the AP at.  If your client is hearing the AP much better than the AP is hearing the client then you need to reduce your cell size by lowering the Tx level of the radio.  

We have found even with 5-6dBi patch/directional antennas, clients will tend to stick to these AP's even when moving 1 or 2 aisles over from the AP unless the AP power is kept low.

If using ARM try to tune the highest and lowest dBm that the AP's can use -  good rule of thumb is 3dB lower and 3dB higher than your ideal power levels found in the testing I recommended.  Typically we disable ARM especially if the omni AP's (305) are sitting high and above stock.  This because the AP's hear each other far better than the clients on the floor and often power down too low.

Sorry a long post!  But hopefully this gives you something to try as it sounds like your patience is running thin.

I'll keep an eye out for your response...

Paul

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: