Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Instant - WPA2 Enterprise - PEAP or EAP?

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Aruba Instant - WPA2 Enterprise - PEAP or EAP?

Posted May 09, 2012 03:18 PM

How do you setup a IAP with WPA2 Enteprise using PEAP?  I am familiar with creating a CSR in a controller and creating a cert and all that jazz but have not done it on an IAP yet.

This documents i found applies to EAP-TLS:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/aruba/attachments/aruba/indoor-aps-raps-and-mesh-routers/1305/1/Aruba%20Instant%20Certificate%20generation%20and%20upload%20edited.pdf

Or is it not worth the hassle trying to setup an IAP with WPA2 Enteprise using PEAP? and just go with EAP-TLS by following the previously linked document?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Aruba Instant - WPA2 Enterprise - PEAP or EAP?

Posted May 09, 2012 03:26 PM
      |   view attached

Protected EAP (PEAP) is an 802.1X authentication method that uses server-side public key certificates to authenticate clients with server.

You can upload a server certificate on Instant as shown in the attached screen shot.

Shashi

• 3.  RE: Aruba Instant - WPA2 Enterprise - PEAP or EAP?

Posted May 09, 2012 03:42 PM

Do I still need to load a cert onto the Aruba Instant Virtual controller if I don't want to use termination on the controller?

• 4.  RE: Aruba Instant - WPA2 Enterprise - PEAP or EAP?

Posted May 09, 2012 04:43 PM

No. You can use an external RADIUS server and just specify the RADIUS server's IP in IAP.

I though you were trying to use IAP's internal RADIUS server to authenticate and if so you will need a cert installed.

Does this answer your question?

thanks,

Shashi

• 5.  RE: Aruba Instant - WPA2 Enterprise - PEAP or EAP?

Posted May 10, 2012 08:57 AM

Sorry, i misunderstood the capabilites of the Aruba IAP, didn't know you can use the internal RADIUS server built-in to the virtual controller or external Radius. I thought the only way to use PEAP-MsChapv2 or EAP-TLS was to use the internal RADIUS server, which now i understand you would need to load a certificate into the virtual controller to do so.

Knowing that, it seems like it would be easier to just use the external RADIUS server rather than go through the headache of creating a cert and loading it in the IAP? or am i wrong?

• 6.  RE: Aruba Instant - WPA2 Enterprise - PEAP or EAP?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 10, 2012 09:41 AM

YES!