Controllerless Networks

Highlighted
Contributor I

Assigned a tagged Management VLAN which blocks untagged access

Hi.

I'm trying to assign a tagged management VLAN to an AP using 

uplink-vlan 100

If the Instant AP connects to port that doesn't have this VLAN tagged on it, it reboots a few times and then starts to use the untagged VLAN.

Is there a way to prevent it from every using the untagged VLAN?

Thanks. 

Highlighted
MVP Guru

Re: Assigned a tagged Management VLAN which blocks untagged access

It's very much not recommended to use tagged management VLANs. Use the native VLAN instead, which on the switch port can be configured on a specific vlan as trunk native VLAN or untagged VLAN.

In the case you really can't get away from using a tagged management VLAN, I would work closely together with Aruba Support if you have issues like these.

Or do others have different experiences?

--
If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC (click for contact details).
Highlighted
Contributor I

Thank you for responding.

What is the reason that tagged VLANs are not recommend for the Management VLAN?

Highlighted
MVP Guru

Not fully sure about all the backgrounds, but it may have to do with the added complexity, pre-provisioning needed, and the default setup is to use the untagged so that is what most of the people in the world are running. I'd only implement this if you can't configure your edge switches to have the management VLAN untagged.

Best-practice is to stay with the defaults unless you have a good reason to deviate from that.

What would be the reason to have your management tagged?

--
If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC (click for contact details).
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: