Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Autojoin a Cluster from another Subnet but the same VLAN

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Autojoin a Cluster from another Subnet but the same VLAN

Posted May 16, 2019 05:42 AM

Hello,

is it possible to auto join an IAP to a Controller in another Subnet. I read in another Topic, that I need to add an DNS entry for Aruba-Master inside of the domain, but it is still not working for me. The problem is that the IAPs by default get an DHCP address and this address is not in the same Subnet as the Controller, but both Subnets are in the same VLAN.

Is there any Solution for this Problem?

Thanks a lot.

• 2.  RE: Autojoin a Cluster from another Subnet but the same VLAN
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted May 16, 2019 05:49 AM

Yes, there is two ways depending on the IAP.

If the IAP is a Unified AP it will discover the Controller using the below : 

https://blogs.arubanetworks.com/solutions/aruba-unified-ap-platform/

If the IAP is a non-Unified AP then convert it to an CAP first and point it to a controller. Once the AP is converted as an CAP it will look for aurba-master/DHCP Options 43&60/or via ADP.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_63_Web_Help/Content/ArubaFrameStyles/Remote_AP/IAP_to_RAP_Mode_Conversion.htm

• 3.  RE: Autojoin a Cluster from another Subnet but the same VLAN

Posted May 16, 2019 06:17 AM

Thank you for this answer.

This solution just work with a Hardware Controller and not with a Virtual Controller right? Or do I misunderstood something?

• 4.  RE: Autojoin a Cluster from another Subnet but the same VLAN

MVP EXPERT
    Posted May 16, 2019 06:33 AM

This is for a hardware controller as detailed in your original post. For an Instant cluster all IAPs must be part of the same broadcast domain. If you want a client to be able to roam between IAP Clusters (i.e an IAP reaches another IAP in a different broadcast domain) then you will need to look at L3 roaming.

• 5.  RE: Autojoin a Cluster from another Subnet but the same VLAN

Posted May 16, 2019 06:40 AM

Ok.

Thank you for your help.