Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Beacons and IAP

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Beacons and IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2015 02:17 PM

Hi all,

I was reading through the beacons VRD. From what i understand, in order to come up with a beacon setup, we must have USB powered Beacons or AP 320 (associated with controller) built-in beacon to communicate with battery powered beacons. So in a nutshell, we must have AP 320 and controller both in place for the entire beacon thing to work right ? (please confirm my understanding)

Is it possible to have a beacon setup if we are running aruba instant and there is no controller at all ?

#ALE
    #LocationServices
    #ArubaBeacons

• 2.  RE: Beacons and IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2015 02:18 PM
    No, this is not correct. You can run beacons without Aruba APs, you just won't have centralized monitoring and management.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 3.  RE: Beacons and IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2015 02:23 PM
    But without APs, how beacons will communicate with meridian in cloud ?

Even if it's not Aruba APs, there should be some AP that will connect beacons (battery powered) to internet so that they may connect to meridian and provide location services ?

Best Regards

Ovais Iqbal

• 4.  RE: Beacons and IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2015 02:25 PM
    The beacons only need to talk to Meridian for monitoring and management. You can do a full Meridian App deployment without this.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 5.  RE: Beacons and IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2015 02:31 PM
    Sorry Tim, didn't understand. Sorry if I am being dumb but would appreciate if you can guide me here.

When you say beacons need to communicate with Meridian only, how can they communicate unless they are connected to internet ? and how beacons are connected to internet if access points are not there ?

Best Regards

Ovais Iqbal
    HP MASE Infrastructure/ CCIE # 37956 (R&S)
    Solution Architect
    HP Networking
    Hewlett Packard Enterprise
    M: +92-321-2960496

• 6.  RE: Beacons and IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2015 02:34 PM
    Beacons simply send out BLE advertisements. They're independent of the network. Meridian cloud simply provides monitoring and centralized configuration management (all optional)

Thanks,
    Tim

• 7.  RE: Beacons and IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2015 02:37 PM
    Ok...

But lets say if we want push notifications and wayfinding, these beacons need to be connected to internet right ?

Best Regards

Ovais Iqbal

• 8.  RE: Beacons and IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2015 02:39 PM
    No. That's all done via the app on the user's device.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 9.  RE: Beacons and IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2015 02:48 PM
    Ok.. I am sure I am getting there.

Can you help me understand how wayfinding works with beacons (not connected to internet) and User app ?

1. User can download the company's app which shows the floor plan,

2. But then without beacons connected to internet (meridian), how can the user gets his location pinpointed ?

Best Regards

Ovais Iqbal
    HP MASE Infrastructure/ CCIE # 37956 (R&S)
    Solution Architect
    HP Networking
    Hewlett Packard Enterprise
    M: +92-321-2960496

• 10.  RE: Beacons and IAP
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2015 02:50 PM
    Beacons simply send out a unique identifier. The app has the beacons on a map. The app on the client device calculates it's location based on signal strength of the beacons.

Thanks,
    Tim

• 11.  RE: Beacons and IAP

Posted Feb 10, 2016 12:07 PM

One question that I am not sure was answered was whether the monitoring/management of USB beacons can be done with a network of IAPs or only Campus APs...thanks

Randy

• 12.  RE: Beacons and IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 10, 2016 12:08 PM
    Currently, campus APs. Instant support is coming very soon.

• 13.  RE: Beacons and IAP

Posted Feb 10, 2016 12:18 PM

Thanks Tim...appreciate the expeditious response, one last question if I may on the subject.  Are there any known performance or interfernce issues using USB beacons on AP225 (usb on backside of chasis) vs AP215 (top of chasis).  If so is there any recommendation to use AP215 vs AP225...

Thanks again...

Randy B.

• 14.  RE: Beacons and IAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 10, 2016 03:37 PM
    No. You shouldn't see any interference in either situation.

tim

• 15.  RE: Beacons and IAP

Posted Feb 10, 2016 03:44 PM

Thanks Much Tim...

Randy