Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Best Practices for Min Transmit/Max Transmit Power Levels

This thread has been viewed 250 times
  • 1.  Best Practices for Min Transmit/Max Transmit Power Levels

Posted Dec 12, 2015 10:59 AM

Hey All -

Had a few quick questions since transistioning to the Aruba line, have 4 IAP-225s in service spread across two floors in approx 3000 sq ft of space (2 on 1st floor, 2 on second floor - ceiling mounted)

It appear the min power level is set to 18 and max level is set to "Max" by default -  with those settings I get the following:

IAP.tiff

Note the utilization across both 2.4 and 5.0GHz

I have client match enabled but it doesn't seem to be balancing the clients all that well since the clients are near all 4 access points.  

Any suggestions for optimizing the configuration?

RF.jpg

Spectrum.jpg

RF2.jpg

With adjusted power settings.

Thanks

#AP225

• 2.  RE: Best Practices for Min Transmit/Max Transmit Power Levels

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 12, 2015 11:01 AM
    Under the arm tab uncheck 80 mhz channels. Make your min 9 and your max 15, and then check the utilization.

• 3.  RE: Best Practices for Min Transmit/Max Transmit Power Levels

Posted Dec 12, 2015 11:05 AM

Thanks - out of curioisity, I was previously informed to enable 80Mhz (to increase WiFi speed for connected clients - all 4 APs are connected to a switch with a 1Gig by 1 Gig fiber connection.

Is the 80MHz causing the utilization issue?

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Best Practices for Min Transmit/Max Transmit Power Levels
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 12, 2015 11:11 AM
    Utilization is an issue on the access points that are both on channel 32E on the 5ghz band. That is why 80 MHz should be unchecked

Utilization is a problem in the 2.4ghz because the poer is too high. Other non WiFi devices also reside on the 2.4 ghz that exacerbate this problem. Maybe you should make your max 12 since you have such a small space.

• 5.  RE: Best Practices for Min Transmit/Max Transmit Power Levels

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 12, 2015 11:14 AM

Contention is greatest at the wifi layer, so if you do not reduce contention, you will not get anywhere near wired speeds.

• 6.  RE: Best Practices for Min Transmit/Max Transmit Power Levels

Posted Aug 24, 2017 07:39 PM

Hi guys,

What are the risks of setting min and max Tx power too far, for example 3 and 24 dBm? Theoretically APs will sense their power each other and ARM will do its job. If there is interference between them they will reduce their power and if not they will increase their power.

• 7.  RE: Best Practices for Min Transmit/Max Transmit Power Levels

Posted Apr 11, 2019 03:33 PM

Hi

Di you get any further infomration on this? as per documentation that shoud be the case, why would power settings need to be adjusted manually

thanks

Channel or Power Assignment

The channel or power assignment feature automatically assigns channel and power settings for all the IAPs in the network according to changes in the RF environment. This feature automates many setup tasks during network installation and the ongoing operations when RF conditions change.

• 8.  RE: Best Practices for Min Transmit/Max Transmit Power Levels

Posted Apr 12, 2019 11:28 AM

Hi tars_B,

ARM works pretty well for most deployments, specially for selecting the optimal RF channel, always taking into account that does this on a per AP basis, that is, it selects the optimal channel for the AP's environment without taking into account the others AP's environment (which doesn't happen with AirMatch and MM in ArubaOS 8).

For adjusting the power that's not the case, since when you take an AP out of the box, it will radiate a min. transmit power of 18 dBm (which is high) and a max. transmit power according to the regulatory domain (this is the case of an Instant AP). This doesn't take into account your environment or if you are designing a capacity-based design, for example. In addition, this setting is the same for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, which will not favour band steering. To solve this adjust the transmit power according to best practices and your requirements. The following are general guidelines taken from the "RF and Roaming Optimization for Aruba 802.11ac Networks VRD":

power_bp.PNG

Note that your are not setting a fix power for each band but a power range of 3 dB, and here is where ARM kicks in and will adjust your power based on the environment and the rest of your WLAN.

Regards,

Julián

• 9.  RE: Best Practices for Min Transmit/Max Transmit Power Levels

Posted Apr 15, 2019 04:06 AM

thank you Julian for the clarification

• 10.  RE: Best Practices for Min Transmit/Max Transmit Power Levels

Posted Jan 10, 2018 03:21 PM
      |   view attached

Hello,

I am wondering about a similar issue I am having with my AP's.

I have AP's that are getting 80 clients from AP's that are 80'-90' away even when I have AP's placed 15' away.

I have ARM set to balance and my transmit power is set for min-9 and max-12.

Just wondering if I should have my power changed? Trying to cover rooms about 30'x30'  but also a gym that is 100'x100' and an auditorium that is 100'x100' 

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• 11.  RE: Best Practices for Min Transmit/Max Transmit Power Levels

Posted Mar 14, 2019 07:42 PM

Well, How do i set different power settings Min and max EIRP separately for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz? 

• 12.  RE: Best Practices for Min Transmit/Max Transmit Power Levels

Posted Mar 15, 2019 10:27 AM

Well, it is easy, just go to RF>Radio and check Customize ARM power range for both bands, and set the transmit power (right side of below image):

instant-arm-42-and-above.png

Regards,

Julián